• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Next Episode - 800 litres

Cheers mate, I'm pretty happy with all of it so far. As always though, my photography skills are seriously letting it down. If anyone who knows what they're doing happens to be passing Sheffield with a camera, then there's plenty of tea and biscuits, or beer and peanuts (;)) in it for you :D

I have given in slightly though with my new arrivals, 3 blue/turquoise. That's it now though as far as discus are concerned, just some corys I think? (still need a couple of 134's) They're still pretty bright as well imo, they should get a lot redder and not so yellowy, orangey, white, so you saying they already look subtle is :thumbup:

Just tried to get a couple of phone fish shots :rolleyes: :nailbiting: Best I could manage :meh:

New Altum flora:

image.jpg

New Thunder Snakeskin. I love this little fella/lass. I originally wanted 3 Altum Floras, but he only had 2 left when I got there. As soon as I saw this I wanted it. Stupid price but love him/her. As always, photo skills doing some damage, really stunning in real life:

image.jpg

Third in charge as far as the pigeon bloods go:

image.jpg

One new Flora & Thunder:

image.jpg

All 9 together. The new Altum Flora's jumped straight in with the rest, no messing around. The Thunder Snakeskin was a lot more timid. He was sulking behind the wood for a few hours but now part of the family.

image.jpg

that last pic looks pretty good to me.
it does help to take tank pics in a dark room to avoid reflections though. what camera are you using

They're all just phone photos up to now. My son has a fuji bridge camera which I keep having a play with, but can't seem to find the right settings. I'll keep giving it a go anyway, sure I'll get there in the end.

I think I might have to knock some sort of hood up as well to enclose the light. White walls and open top tank equals one pretty bright room :cool:

Hi NC, Wondeful Scape Love the DW :clap: Nice fish too :woot:

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Just tapwater and prime mate. I did think about getting an HMA filter, but with everything going as it is there's not much point really is there? I don't really want to start messing around with RO though.

I was told I may have trouble getting the discus eggs to hatch in my tap water, it may be too hard at around ph7. The breeder I bought the first discus from just used treated tap water, not sure what the ph is around Birmingham though. TBH I'm not going all out to breed them anyway, I just see it as a sign that they're happy. If I do get some wrigglers then that's a bonus :thumbup:

You might get some wigglers. Your water seems fine. I was asking cause here in Salisbury ph is 8.2ish. But you are much more lucky.

Its not really only ph but also kh which matters. But you dont need to worry. Just keep water clean and keep using prime.

ph and TDS meter ordered :thumbup: :rolleyes:

I've just wasted an entire afternoon off building a perspex cover to reduce evaporation :mad:

I'm losing around 4-6 litres a day so thought it was a good idea, only for my Mrs to walk in and say "how are the plants going to grow out of the water?". Yes, good point :banghead:

It's staying for now anyway :facepalm:

Last update for a bit. I've noticed the plants seem to be throwing loads of new leaves out compared to the other setup they were in, so I've decided to give Easycarbo a go for now.

I've just ordered a 1 litre bottle which gives me 2 months supply. Depending on results, I'll either stick with it and sort a dosing pump out, or fire the reactor up and go back to the original plan.

See you in 2 months :D

Thanks for reading :thumbup:

Just a tip: I wouldnt recommend a dosing pump for glut with discus, unless you really really know what youre doing. Things normally go wrong and think of the money thats inside that tank. I would keep things very simple. Good luck!

Back