• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Tom, really good fry shots. If you dont mind could you tell me what equipment you use to take the photo; lens, lighting etc.

Thanks. :)

Hi Sanj. Fry shots were taken with a Panasonic GH2 micro 4/3rds camera and olympus 35mm f3.5 macro lens (which is a 4/3rds lens so needs an adaptor to fit on the gh2). Then just ambient tank light and cranked the iso up to 1600.

Yawn...

f5co.jpg

some amazing shots Tom and the tanks aint bad too ........ :p

What cam do you use? im looking to get a new one soon.

cheers

Cheers Aron. I'm using a Panasonic GH2 these days. All the features of an SLR with much less bulk (especially if you pair it with the right lenses). Only downsides really are a reduced choice of lenses, slightly fiddly ergonomics compared to a full size DSLR and a small hit in high-ISO performance compared to the very latest DSLR sensors. These were all shot at ISO 1600 though and needed very little cleaning up so its no slouch.

Bigtom you mind if I pm you and ask you some questions? I'll post em here afterwards.

Also, how's the tank with the 2x 10w leds? Also have you got some heather to sell?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Bigtom you mind if I pm you and ask you some questions? I'll post em here afterwards.

Yup no problem. On holiday at the moment though so might be a bit slow replying.

Also, how's the tank with the 2x 10w leds? Also have you got some heather to sell?

Not sure what tank you mean - the only LEDs I have are the 36w Kessil on this tank. And sorry no on the heather, any extra I had went ages ago.

Have finally gotten around to working on the riparian section a bit... added some extra stonework about level with the surface and have thrown a bunch of plants at it to see what sticks. Will give them a month or so to get settled then tweak.

6n97.jpg

lm6g.jpg

kgep.jpg

a6wm.jpg

sf8q.jpg

Stunning tank Tom.
Not sure if you've noticed, but there seems to be some light bulb perched on the driftwood that's sticking out of your pond :) The tank is attracting the media I see :)

On a serious note, what is the emersed plant called in your last picture?

Maidenhair fern is very sensitive to it's soil drying out (it will die if it's soil dries out for even a single day) so I can imagine it's the perfect plant for growing out of the tank. Looks great too.

Heh. The last plant is a maidenhair fern. Pretty common houseplant, should be able to find one in almost any garden centre. Seems to be taking well to riparian growth, thrown out about half a dozen new fronds in the last few weeks.
You and Alastair have inspired me to try one of these, I'm going to try and source one.....I think it will outwardly compliment hydrocotle tripartita grown submerse :) hope they dont get too big! I need something small for my one emerse branch, I already have a bolbitis difformis on it which is hanging on in there and just starting to green up again after some leaves dried out. I mist it about twice a day, but it was bought submersed so will likely need time to adjust......who knows, my one emerse stump may lead to another ukaps bucket or puddle :)
Cheerio,
Ady

You and Alastair have inspired me to try one of these, I'm going to try and source one.....I think it will outwardly compliment hydrocotle tripartita grown submerse :) hope they dont get too big! I need something small for my one emerse branch, I already have a bolbitis difformis on it which is hanging on in there and just starting to green up again after some leaves dried out. I mist it about twice a day, but it was bought submersed so will likely need time to adjust......who knows, my one emerse stump may lead to another ukaps bucket or puddle :)
Cheerio,
Ady

They are really nice plants, and easy to grow as long as they don't dry out. They do get to a reasonable size... fronds are about 12" long but quite droopy so they don't spread that far.

Back