• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

and are you happy with it ?

Presumably you don't have to keep it in the tank all the time and you could rotate it in other tanks?

Very happy with it, as Viktor as reported you still need to clean the tank glass but no visible algae on rocks and plants. I keep my twinstar in the one tank 24/7 as my own other tank is a low tech shrimp tank. The devise primarily prevents algae, but as has been demonstrate can be used to remove green algae, i guess if you wanted to rotate into other tanks you could, i seem to recall viktor suggesting somebody he spoke to doing this to resolve algae issues, but i guess you need to ask yourself what is the route cause of algae, if your not going to keep device in tank the algae will ultimately return.

Do you need to place the diffuser part in an area of best flow (say on rear pane under spray bar) or is on the side pane where you tend to see it in most pictures sufficient?

Do you need to place the diffuser part in an area of best flow (say on rear pane under spray bar) or is on the side pane where you tend to see it in most pictures sufficient?

Hello Rob,

I current have mine located on opposite side of flow pipe, as where you typically see in photos, but there no reason you can install under the spray bar, i put there as i know that's where i have good flow as want to ensure that the nano bubble get distributed evenly around my tank.

Really happy with this this device, since installing even the algae i had below the substrate line against the glass has disappeared.:)

Cool. Will look forward to trying it out :)

Edit - bought some 'biomolecules' today lol :D

Cool. Will look forward to trying it out :)

Let us how you get on with it, I'm sure everyone would be interested... particularly as everyone's tank is different... i should really do an update, i currently have an overstocked tank, currently have 35 fish (30 cardinal tetra, 3 Otts and 2 neno black tetra) 6 amano shrimp in my 120l tank but not notice that fish going to surface up for air.

Interesting to read the feedback. Just a quick thought from me.

Without being commercial here, we sold all our unit in our first shipment for pro scapers.
I guess this is surprising for many of you, but this is how the device conquered the hobby in the past few months. This was tested in high energy setups by skilled aquascapers.

Many beginner has alga issues and these people would pay a lot to eliminate it fully. But the thing is that many beginners do not even have the right equipments, lights, fertilizer routine, CO2 balance, maintenance cycle and even the basic knowledge of plants etc. So 99% of their issues comes for other reason. There i think Twinstar would not add so much. Since you may help with one thing, but you have many problems with your system and balance in overall.

For a "pro" this is the tool which helps to lower the maintenance a bit, eliminate periodical algae attacks, and keep the tank crystal clear including the decor and the sands too.

For beginner we need to help them educate first the fundamentals how to keep the right plants within a specific condition. Recommend them the system which meet with their requirement. Twinstar is a nice thing in your maintenance bag but will not do miracle if it is not used the right way.

Now as i told this :)I have to tell the more i use this the more lazy i am :) Pretty dangerous :)

This tank is running fine. No algae on the sand and i do not find a single bit of algae on any of the plants. Which is cool.
Stones is a bit covered with green dot by the way.

11254026163_8a9104237f_b.jpg
Green Aqua Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

But this one..:woot: ... this one..:eek: .. this one..:nailbiting: .. this is my lovely red garden :)
But you also can see the issue as you start neglect your tank :) The surface gets some scum. I forgot the WC this week and as the plant grows and blocks the surface and the way of flow, the importance of the filter power will be more.
Had to watch out for this.

But the reds... now that's cool :)

11254028653_fcb1506e71_b.jpg

11253939395_207d471c31_b.jpg

11254031163_658c2d6333_b.jpg

Looking forward how this will perform with you guys.

For me it's like a helmet meanwhile i do run with maxspeed on my bike pfff :)

Hello Rob,

Really happy with this this device, since installing even the algae i had below the substrate line against the glass has disappeared.:)

Great, that's where I'm mainly looking to use it so below the substrate and with lighter coloured rocks that are prone to algae, using lighter coloured Nile sand with a river bed scape makes this ongoing maintenance..

Great, that's where I'm mainly looking to use it so below the substrate and with lighter coloured rocks that are prone to algae, using lighter coloured Nile sand with a river bed scape makes this ongoing maintenance..

Hello Trevor,

You should while you notice a reduction of algea above substrate, the algea under the substrate line will take longer to disappear, I had device in tank for aprox 2 weeks before I noticed any change. After viktor reported the same, like yourselves his was one of the reasons I brought as I wasn't sure how to remove without distrupting substrate, had even tried covering substrate externally, as a blackout but didn't work.

ok great, now how do I order one of these in Africa I wonder ?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my new technique of cleaning under the substrate on the front glass is to slowly move a little section of the substrate away, say 50 to 70mm at a time and then let my young ancistrus cleaning squad have a party..glass is crystal clear within hours.

Not sure the cleaning squad is going to be too happy with the Twinstar nano acquisition :)

Many beginner has alga issues and these people would pay a lot to eliminate it fully. But the thing is that many beginners do not even have the right equipments, lights, fertilizer routine, CO2 balance, maintenance cycle and even the basic knowledge of plants etc. So 99% of their issues comes for other reason. There i think Twinstar would not add so much. Since you may help with one thing, but you have many problems with your system and balance in overall.

For a "pro" this is the tool which helps to lower the maintenance a bit, eliminate periodical algae attacks, and keep the tank crystal clear including the decor and the sands too.

For beginner we need to help them educate first the fundamentals how to keep the right plants within a specific condition. Recommend them the system which meet with their requirement. Twinstar is a nice thing in your maintenance bag but will not do miracle if it is not used the right way:)

Very good point and well made...nice scapes by the way Viktor...

Let us how you get on with it, I'm sure everyone would be interested... particularly as everyone's tank is different...

Well i'm definitely in the beginner category (somebody has to be :)) and don't have a show tank lol, but i'll keep notes of what happens. Not for one minute expecting a miracle cure - i'm simply hoping it eases some of the issues that I currently spend time on (leaf cleaning etc) and thus allows me a little more time to continue tweaking the fundamentals :)

My new tank will be a mini landcsape rock layout, so it's also chance for a dummy run prior to setting that up.

Hi all,
What sort of lights plants and size of refugium is needed?
You don't need a very big tank for the refugium, I would imagine that 60 litres would do for even a really big tank, and probably ~ 10 litres is enough for a 60 litre tank. I would just use any waterproof container that you have to jhand, that fits in the space you've got.

I'd probably use Cabomba caroliniana as my plant, <Measuring Photosynthesis with Cabomba - National STEM Centre>, but I would imagine that any rapidly growing stem plant would do, and other species may well be better in harder water (Ceratophyllum or Egeria?).

Then all you need to do is have a reversed lighting regime, the plants should get plenty of dissolved CO2 from the (now dark) tank and they should evolve enough oxygen to keep the main tank pretty fully oxygenated. I wouldn't worry too much about having greater light intensity than you would for the tank, although this is going to depend upon the nutrient status of the water. If you use EI, you could get away with a long light period as neither CO2 or nutrients would be limiting. I'd be tempted to add some Asellus or Cherry Shrimps to the refugium.

I always have my tanks on a 12 hour day, so I'd have the refugium light on for the other 12 hours. We used to run the veg. filters in the lab under 24 hour daylight, but they were dealing with leachate with a high BOD, and the plants were emergent etc.

Any particular reason for a refugium? "Wet and Dry" trickle filters are a lot less work.

cheers Darrel

Well i'm definitely in the beginner category (somebody has to be :)) and don't have a show tank lol, but i'll keep notes of what happens. Not for one minute expecting a miracle cure - i'm simply hoping it eases some of the issues that I currently spend time on (leaf cleaning etc) and thus allows me a little more time to continue tweaking the fundamentals :)

My new tank will be a mini landcsape rock layout, so it's also chance for a dummy run prior to setting that up.

really looking forward to seeing how device works for you...I hope it does what you want:thumbup:

The manufactures have suggested thee units for my 760L..but will do me a good deal, they seem keen to help :)

Wish they had them in black though, three of those conspicuous white units independently spraying vapour all over could end up being quite a scene and launch the first sci fi Iwagumi :eek:

Got my order update from TGM... Awaiting stock!! FFS, lol seems they've been quite popular at the offer price, but told I should have it before Xmas :)

So then it looks like it does not clean up the algae below substrate level on the front glass or will it ?

Yup this is a slower process, but i guess the deep sand does not help on this.
If this would be a clay it would be clean by now.

Back