Vito's first planted tank - Juwel Rio 125 (NEW PICS July 09)

Vito

Hey everyone, Just over a month since my last update so here goes!
I went to Mexico, Riviera Maya, 20 mins outside of Cancun and It was absolutly amazing, lots of great sea life and plenty of tequila. So we me being on holiday I had to figure out some ingenious way to dose the ferts and feed the fish so I came up with this,
Basicly home made calendar, colour coded for the certain ferts and with small plastic sealable bags with the correct ammounts of ferts and food in the bag and then each bag was pinned to the correct date. The colour coding was to minimize confusion. So I left this in the capable hands of my quickly trained brothers who did an amazing job, I did make it idiot proof so I wasnt expecting mutch to go wrong. When I returned I was suprised to see how much growth had occured in the space of two weeks it was like a jungle compared to when I left and here is the proof.

One thing I wanted to show that there is this kinda non growth happening under the blyxa and it looks like spaggetti under it, I am guessing its due to no light getting in there but you only notice it if you look up at the tank.

I do like the grass but it coverd my HC so I have just trimmed it, took me ages to clean up the trimmings and there a few bits still floating in there, when I do the weekly water change on thursday it will be much cleaner.
So here are the pcis of what it looks like now.

Just messing with the exposure on this shot.

Ok well that the update so far, any comments welcomed.

Vito

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
That Rio looks awsome dude, do you want to swap it with mine??? hehe great work and nice idea on the calendar did the trick :)

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
Staff member
Nice one Vito. You've come a long way mate. Love the success stories. :D

Cheers,

TBRO

Very Nice, the plants look really healthy. I agree blyxa looks best in separate mounds, like you have it. Mine currently looks a bit sad after a major trim. I'll have to treat it to a good slug of ferts.

Cheers, Tom

Vito

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it, alot of time and effort goes into planted tanks and probably especially when its your first one, but it has all been well worth it. I will be running the tank until september and then I will be re-strarting a whole new layout but until then keep an eye out for my updates.

Thanks again,

Vito

Vito

Hey guys, time fly's so another update due but not change, other than I purchased some dutch rams...

Water change due tomorrow I think I might trim the bush.
All comments welcomed

Vito

Vito

Gill said:
:wideyed: :D :thumbup: :clap: Damn that is Amazing
Thanks alot mate, really appriciate it.
I thought it was time to trim so I removed, trimed and re -planted, Im back to 6 stems and its growing fast! Im just fiddling around and planning my new scape for hopefully September.
Thanks again Gill.

Vito

saintly said:
i feel there's so much more to see from you vito. :thumbup:
Always learning is someones signature here and they couldnt be more right. I can't wait to make a start on my next scape but im definetly taking time to make sure I nail it first time.

Nick16

how many post6s of hairgrass did you start out with?
did you divide them up into tiny portions or just small portions? :lol:

love the blyxa island. :thumbup:

Vito

Nick16 said:
how many post6s of hairgrass did you start out with?
did you divide them up into tiny portions or just small portions? :lol:

love the blyxa island. :thumbup:
Thanks Nick!
I started with about 2 pots worth, split them into bunches of 15 or so strands and planted them inch apart but I would probably recommend planting less stands and closer together to gain a quicker carpet, but if your patient then my way works too.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
This tank got featured in the Your Tanks section of the latest PFK Newsletter ;) congrats

Vito

Thanks for the comments guys, really appriciate it. i have learned so much from this tank,It was my first attempt and what a journey it has been but that has now come to an end, I have since taken the scape down and donated most the plants out to other ukaps members and I am currently seting up a brand new scape, same tank and equipment just diffrent style, should be set up by begining of october.

Thanks again guys!