• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Wow mike!
Ten days and that's gone crazy...looks proper jungle like at the moment. I quite like it!

Finally had time to do a bit of maintenance. So it's gone from here:

9399918218_551d83c04c_b.jpg
IMG_2302 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

To here:

9397152465_f9c705ac25_b.jpg
IMG_2309 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

9397151811_932499a6d7_b.jpg
IMG_2310 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

9397151811_932499a6d7_b.jpg
IMG_2310 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

Have trimmed the lileopsis hard - no idea if it will recover, but this removes the BBA. Overall this tank is pretty healthy now.

9397150659_d5d971ef36_b.jpg
IMG_2313 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

Fair to say this by far the biggest trim I've ever done! Interested to see what happens now... Was amazing how much limnophila and hydrocotyle I ended up throwing away. Next time I'll post plants out to whoever wants them.

(Am also a big fan of flickr for hosting - these images took about 30 seconds to get sized right and uploaded).

Wow mike!
Ten days and that's gone crazy...looks proper jungle like at the moment. I quite like it!

Completely agree. Am sort of hoping it goes for it again, but twice as thick. There's nothing like sitting in front of a lush, green tank with a beer in the hand, knowing that all that reading of ukaps and trial and error has paid off... Would say a big thank you to everyone on here. Otherwise I'd still be sitting in front of the tank I had on the day I found this site a couple of years ago...

Last%20Viewed%20Events%20-%204471.jpg

You can read all about where that one got to in my other journal if you're interested...

Two weeks later, with absolutely zero maintenance as have been away, and it's out of control again! Though this time it's more of an algae-fest.

9197051954_ae89ceab63_b.jpg
IMG_2538 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

Hmmm... Think may need to cut down the lighting a bit. And maybe have more than the one or two Amanos that are still left. (The big rescape a while ago did lots of the original ones in it seems).

Here's a very quick photo update. First a bit of a clean up and chop down after the above...

9697844567_5f611d6b90_b.jpg
IMG_3460 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

And where it is today.

9701108850_540a5f4d3c_b.jpg
IMG_3546 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

Is not the prettiest, but basically on autopilot, so I do almost nothing to it. Maybe 20 mins a week.

Have got a bit of hair algae, but, really, meh.

Rebirth...

So it all got a bit out of control. So I've totally stripped it back and am going for a different look with the same hardscape - aiming for a low profile Lilaeopsis brasiliensis carpet with a bit of a Hemianthus bush behind it. No idea if this will work, but worth a try. Looks amazingly empty after the jungle above [have tried to fix flickr links again, not sure why they keep breaking].

10999014294_5aa7baa349_b.jpg
IMG_3872 by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

You've come a very long way, well done on everything pal.

[EDIT - Have switched flickr uploader, and hope that images from here on will be good. Will go back and fix previous if the links are broken again!]

Have been admiring this tank at the Green Machine recently and decided to copy the basic idea in this tank, just as a trial run to see how it goes. Have never done an 'imitation' tank before. Feels a bit wrong in lots of ways, but this is the last scape in this tank before something big happens (!!!) and need a bit of practice.

Don't really have the hardscape rocks I need, but this type of layout suited the ones I do have more than others. So here's a sneak preview of the new hardscape (from the least flattering angle - proper photos once the dust has settled). Planting idea remains pretty much the same.

11037362535_c680686bf4_b.jpg
Untitled by mike@ukaps, on Flickr

I loved watching the making of Crimson sky. Great scape.

Back