• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA, Diatoms, Monte Carlo transition? I'm not too sure what i'm doing wrong here but I do know I need help.

LostMud

Hey all, I might be calling this too soon (as I know stabilizing a new tank takes time) but here goes:
Started up a new planted tank running just about 3-4 weeks now. Encountering what looks to be patches of blue-green algae, diatoms, buce transition melt and monte carlo transition melt. The concerning ones (other than the BGA), are the growth of the new monte carlo leaves.
They seem to be very small and growing sparsely upwards. Initially, my photoperiod was 6h with C02 injection, three days ago I increased it to 130W for 8hrs, thinking that the lighting wasn't enough (as I read online that such monte carlo growth might mean a lack of lighting).

So the diatoms and BGA only started when I had to go overseas for 5 days during the 2nd week. I read online that I should fert for the days I was gone to make up for the absence, thus that is what I did.

Here's what I'm working with:
  • 300L (80gal) tank
  • Chihiros WRGB II lighting (photoperiod was 6hrs, now 8hrs)
  • C02 reactor, bubble count is 4/sec
  • APT root tabs in aquasoil
  • APT 3 ferting (was underdosing by mistake at 6ml daily, realised yesterday it should be 9ml for tank size)
  • No inhabitants yet
Water parameters are:
Temp: 31 degrees celsius
PH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7

Attachments

• photo_2024-05-09_09-09-28.jpg
    photo_2024-05-09_09-09-28.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 80
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 09.05.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 09.05.58.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 30
Don't know anything about APT liquid fertiliser but with nutrient rich substrate at early stages of set up liquid fertiliser not needed. When using CO2 its generally recommended 50%water changes for the first week ,gradually reduced to 50% once a week in week 4 , Diatoms are pretty normal at first. The BGA and algae maybe the temperature with too high lighting ?, and filtration should be around 10 times turnover. Remove as much algae as possible increase water changes to two or three times a week would be my thoughts, gradually reduce temperature to around 23

Hi welcome. It sounds like you are doing the correct things.
Do you have a CO2 drop checker?
Are your stem planes growing?
I will be installing a drop checker this weekend. On that note, I've read some people suggesting to place it as close to the substrate as possible. Would that be best?

Yes, at the moment I have hygrophila stricta which has spread its roots out and is showing about 4 inches of new growth, however, it's pretty much covered in diatom at the moment.

Don't know anything about APT liquid fertiliser but with nutrient rich substrate at early stages of set up liquid fertiliser not needed. When using CO2 its generally recommended 50%water changes for the first week ,gradually reduced to 50% once a week in week 4 , Diatoms are pretty normal at first. The BGA and algae maybe the temperature with too high lighting ?, and filtration should be around 10 times turnover. Remove as much algae as possible increase water changes to two or three times a week would be my thoughts, gradually reduce temperature to around 23

I see, thank you very much. I'll go ahead and remove the algae manually and increase the water changes. Unfortunately, without a chiller (which is quite above my budget), the temperature in Singapore has been really bad lately. For the lighting changes I recently made, (from 6hrs to 8hrs), should I then revert back to 6hrs? Im not too sure what's causing the monte carlo to grow upwards all stringy.

Oh I messed that part about the ferts up then. I'll move forward with the more frequent water changes!

With BGA, I would reduce lighting back to 6h, do more WCs than usual while siphoning the most BGA I can, keep fert the same and wait to see how it goes.

If you can find filter stuff or a plant from an other hobbyist with an old/established tank it could help also.

With BGA, I would reduce lighting back to 6h, do more WCs than usual while siphoning the most BGA I can, keep fert the same and wait to see how it goes.

If you can find filter stuff or a plant from an other hobbyist with an old/established tank it could help also.
Thank you for the reply! Ah i see, alright I'll drop the lighting back down and do WC's every other day while removing the BGA. Let me see if my LFS would be willing to spare me some filter juice :D

I realise now your in Singapore, some members manage planted tanks in warm countries successfully. look in at the journals may help . BBA can be stubborn a small wire brush as you water change may help as done by Green Aqua,the idea stole from George Farmer years back l think

Back