• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Ryuoh Ravine - Taiwan Fires

I've been following this thread closely as I have the same size tank just waiting for a stand to be welded so I can start to fill her up. Still trying to decide between natural with emergent plants or dutch style with pressurised CO2 and EI ferts.

Hmm, Very tough choice! But I would maybe go with Natural with Emergent plants setup.
I'm going to be makinga cabinet from oak possibly this week, then somehow have to configure a light mounting system as I have another Grobeam Tile now. Can't wait to get it up and running. :)

I will probably go with the low tech approach because I dont have that much time to maintain it. I would be making a cabinet for mine but it fits exactly on top of a chest of drawers my dad made for me when I was 5, I just need to make a steel frame for the chest of drawers because its made from thin pine and it isnt very srong. Are you a joiner or is the oak cabinet gonna be more of a diy project?

Sounds like an excellent idea mate, good sentimental value. Yeah I'm a bench joiner in my 3rd year Apprenticeship, so that helps a lot, having access to machines and knowledge to put it all together.

Gonna have 3x3 corners on it to carry the water weight. The only thing I'm unsure about is wether to make it to fit my current setup, or make a cabinet with a 4'x2' Footprint to support a future project (Probably this one if I can squeeze some more oak out of my Dad :lol: , We had a lot left over from a big job).

My next upgrade in tank will be to a 4'x2'x1' Shallow I think. :)

I take it your doing a level 3 apprenticeship then?
The next tank after my 6x2x2 may also be a 4x2x1 shallow tank or a 4x2x2 desinged to be half filled to the 12'' mark.
I would try and go for stand with a 4x2 footprint if you have the space because you could put a couple of 30cm cubes on each side :)
When I make the stand for my 4ft tank I want the frame to be showing and made out of 4x4 much like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/344 ... 4a0b_o.jpg. I like the industial look to it.

Yeah mate doing my level 3 at the moment, then with a bit of luck will progress to doing my HIgher Nationals next year.

I know what you mean, I have an oak sideboard in my kitchen open bottomed like that and it looks excellent. I'm gonna try make the cabinet minimalist like ADA with some slight changes, as the oak when joint together to make doors will need to have stiles and rails to prevent cupping or twist I think. Gonna work some tool drawers into there somewhere too :)

Will try get the 4ft one made. But will take a bit longer to do.

I think an ADA style cabinet with shaker style doors would look the part. Good luck with the cabinet and post some pics up of it after.

e8yzugy9.jpg

Journal closed!

Hey Palm, I've been thinking of it for a while. It was a bit of a mess and I wanted to change stuff about.

I've done a rescape last night, and am leaving it today to see if I like the layout.
Will put something up a bit later :) watch this space for a hardscape preview.

Hi whitey - look forward to seeing the next one. Let me know if you want any CBS, I have lots of young uk bred s+ grade......happy to let you have some in return for the excellent fires you sent :)

basil said:
Hi whitey - look forward to seeing the next one. Let me know if you want any CBS, I have lots of young uk bred s+ grade......happy to let you have some in return for the excellent fires you sent :)

Hey mate,
How are they doing now? For some reason mine have been dropping like flies, couldn't put a finger on what it was. So at the moment I'm good for shrimp ta ;) I wouldn't subject them to me :lol:

Thanks for popping by,

Cheers,

Lookin good Whitney. You starting with new plants or using the existing?

Hello folks, thanks for the kind words.

About the plants, I will be as you can see around the base of the foremost rock, using some Eleocharis sp. Mini from last scape, behind that on the lowest level I think will be Crypts galore.
It's funny, When I started, I used to think 'crypts' what the F would someone want them for, they're ugly, and hard to fit in nicely. But now, after seeing some fantastic examples on here, (Alistair) and in my tank before the rescape, I fell in love with them, I love the way they grow.

Anyway, left forefront to left of branch, I think I will get more Sp. Mini and go right along. Will create a nice plane.

Upper 'Root' section, I was wanting to cover Manzanita in moss, possibly Fissidens Fox or Fontanus. Surrounded by some stems, really like Myriophyllum mattogrossense 'Red' some rotala Mexicana sp. Goias and some narrow java.

Will see how it all pans out. :)

Whitey89 said:
basil said:

Hey mate,
How are they doing now? For some reason mine have been dropping like flies, couldn't put a finger on what it was. So at the moment I'm good for shrimp ta ;) I wouldn't subject them to me :lol:

Thanks for popping by,

Cheers,

They are goin great guns thanks - probably now got in the region of a couple hundred, and they are making stunning shrimp too!

Sounds like you might have a bacterial outbreak? Worth dosing seachem para guard if you have as well as the usual almond leaves. I've also recently been using Beta Glucans to great effect on making my shrimp hardy. Hope they are ok and you don't lose too many more!!

Back