• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

clay pebbles as filter media

Depends on the size of them really. Alot used to use gravel as media in pond filters etc ok at first but once it started to clog it quickly became anaerobic and caused problems.
If there is a reasonably good water flow though the media you should be ok.

thanks, been googling a bit. Going to use a load in the main sump chamber, after the sponge pads should have caught most of the solid waste. It's very bouyant and I'll use a small powerhead to keep it moving around. I'm sure its overkill, but why the heck not!

My experience in past with trying to rinse clay product's such as Flourite,lava rock,and current use of Safe-T-sorb in present application,, is the more one rinses clay material ,,the more comes loose.
Quicker rinse result's in cloudy water for a few hour's to day's with moderate to heavy flow from filtration.
Just sayin.
I might want to rinse the clay pellet's fairly well, but not spend too much time trying to get water to run clear with clay.
This might help with clarity of water in the aquarium and after a few day's of placing the pellet's in filtration system,I would clean filter media.(mechanical)

Back