• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Interesting observations, I think we're building up a picture of its growth habit...so thanks for sharing Tim, foxfish and Rob, there maybe hope for mine yet, I'll keep an eye out for runners...I hope...

Very nice tank troi and just shows what can be achieved with low energy. A lesson to us all while fighting with gas and algae while forgetting to enjoy the hobby. Out of curiosity, what is the name of the tallest of the plants on the back right side,looks a bit like sea weed texture?

Thanks AWB, that's very kind of you to say so. There are some very good low-energy tanks out there, not least are Tom's and Alastair's. But I still think folk totally underestimate what can be achieved in a relatively short time. The sea weed plant is Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae.

Thanks for the plant i.d I have a place where they would fit just nice to replace some vallis that's getting out of hand. Yes, I also follow Alistair stuff with interest.
Here's my theory on it fwiw, apologies for going off topic slightly. People have a dabble with plants which doesn't go well because they know nothing about plants. They often find themselves at this forum and see people's co2 setups, fancy lighting and any problems usually get greeted with get loads of Fert in there and a yellow drop checker, which, probably is the cure as well as good flow to be fair. I think though at this point another set of problems come into play and before you know where you're at your hobby becomes a full time job!

Maybe wouldn't do any harm for people to understand plants and nature first before getting right into the supporting equipment.

It is a bit off topic but an interesting philosophical observation nonetheless. Technology is great fun...but you don't need any of it to produce healthy plant growth and fantastic scapes. Twinstar, £1000.00 lighting arrays, and even gas and glute can help achieve great things but they can become a means in themselves rather than a means to an end.

Unfortunately, this can spell disaster and many leave the hobby totally disillusioned. Going back to basics - low-energy - is growing in popularity probably for this very reason...you only have to look at how many daily hits my tutorial The Soil Substrate Planted Tank - A How to Guide | UK Aquatic Plant Society gets to realise this (not that I'm blowing my own trumpet...well ok, maybe just a little:)).

How about an even more basic approach using only indigenous plants natural light & a brownie camera? ;)

I could go for that too...even the Box Brownie - probably more advanced than the camera I own at the moment:p

How about an even more basic approach using only indigenous plants natural light & a brownie camera? ;)

I don't have a problem with using all the equipment, I do myself, a lot. But using the equipment itself is problematic if not used properly. Starting low energy would be a better start for most then adding in the tech once the fundamental principles were sorted.
I wish I had went down this route instead of complicating my life with tech early on.
Anyway, I guess that's for another thread. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the tank troi

Oh alas...the pace of life in a low-energy tank is sooo slow that there really isn't that much more to report since last time...Although, I maybe adding some more small crypts to the foreground soon; if I do I'll post a pic.

If it's any consolation the crypts I got because I saw the ones you had and liked are flying along. I could take some pictures of them and you could see what would have happened if you got some energy in there :) ;)
Only joking mate, I look forward to the pictures. In my low energy set up the plants always seem to look more well rounded for the want of a better phrase. They just look healthier and looking at it is more relaxing. In my high energy at home I'm always fussing and tinkering.

I really like this tank. Sorry for asking a newb question but is the peat really the only source of carbon to produce all that growth?

Also how hard is your water exactly? I'm interested to see bolbitis growing in hard water, always been too scared to try it in mine

I really like this tank. Sorry for asking a newb question but is the peat really the only source of carbon to produce all that growth?
Also how hard is your water exactly? I'm interested to see bolbitis growing in hard water, always been too scared to try it in mine

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say so.
Peat...well mostly...but perhaps not entirely, it's also mixed with loam; so there is other organic material in there too.

Not only but also, apparently around about half the aquatic plants that have been tested can utilise bicarbonates in alkaline water too...although I'm not entirely sure if that's relevant to any of those in my tank. Perhaps someone, like Clive or Darrell could post a list, it'd be interesting if nothing else; could be a good subject for another post, so it gets the attention it deserves.

I don't know how hard my water is exactly - been a while since I tested it - but last time I tried I remember almost giving up adding reagent it took so long for the colour to change. I live in the south east chalk aquifer region, so it is safe to say it's rock 'ard...

Yep, darren is right Bolbitis H. does great in low-energy hard water tanks, well at least it does in mine...and it's a complete thug if you add CO2. And finally don't be scared to experiment or ask questions, it's how we continue to learn;)

Thanks for your reply!
I had heard that bolbities is an acid-loving plant - I tend to associate acid with soft water so that's probably where I'm getting confused!
Anyway great tank, makes me want to learn more about carbon-rich substrates!

Generally speaking I don't think it matters too much...there are other factors such as nutrients, flow and distribution, and getting the lighting right that are more important.

Love this scape troi, switched my co2 off today.

Fish are sprightlier and the algae issue is starting to subside already.

I have one t5 tube reflector removed over 260 litres. So low watts per gallon in old money and low - medium with respect to par.

The chalk downs in the area where i reside are famous for watercress so there must be a connection with bicarbonates and hard water.

Back