• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deans 60p

I agree its from the hose reduction but will the flow not be too high without?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

changed the inlet to fluval inlet and flow improved but still only half way up the triangle but will have to do as already purchased the outlet pipe and heater, think going to have to buy 17mm inlet lily now lol will leave the fluval one on for now, planting went ok but not sure on the stems lol love the monte carlo and repens but don't like the left hand rear with high stems should have stuck with iwagumi look :banghead: but will leave for now and change later if really don't like it, will get pics up tomorrow, I have one aquabar on full power and dimmers not arrived when they do I will set both up but not sure how bright any help on that ? also how high above water surface you recommend the one aquabar should be ?

Thanks dean

With my dimmers I put a white mark on the dial at the off position so that I got an idea of where it was when turned ie half way, 3/4 etc. I started with them on about half power to let plants settle. My tank is deeper than yours and low tech so afraid I can't offer any more advice re strength other than start low and after a week or two start turning it up every week or two. First sign of trouble turn it down a bit!

I'd stick with one aquabar a few inches above the water surface until the dimmers arrive, there's no point in overdoing the light at this point?

I had the same trouble with reducers on my filter, luckily I swapped my heater for a 17mm one with a forum member and it's increased significantly (not surprising really). Isn't your filter pretty powerful though?

uhazeret.jpg

Quite densely planted

7ezuqyhe.jpg

y6e2uquv.jpg

Don't like stems at rear but leave in for initial setup

emeza6y2.jpg

Make shift light holder lol until get proper unit

emarasyj.jpg

How filter looks until can get 17mm inlet

8ynehupa.jpg

Flow

6ese4uda.jpg

Cannot believe used to just use a barrel but using hose ontap is much easier lol

Thanks Dean

I really wish you all the best with this and I'm sure everyone agrees, you deserve some success!

cheers mate like I say not over keen on long stems but will leave for now just want to get established should be nothing stopping me :rolleyes: well been struggling to get PH down don't suppose Amazonia should affect this anyway ? in in tank diffuser yesterday and this morning and PH didn't move so today I fit inline atomiser and tank filled will tiny bubbles but still didn't drop o_O but the drop checker was yellow and only 4cm from substrate or so, I know not to go off this just didn't understand hw yellow and ph didn't drop, still carrying out daily water changes for first week but want ph down.

the atomiser doesn't go on a certain way does it ? like towards a direction of flow ? if doesn't drop at all first 2 hours tomorrow might but intank diffuser under the inlet but I don't like that as gurgles in the filter lol

any other advice or ways to lower ph be great, always had a drop of 1 before, strange :banghead:

regard maintanence had to do water changes on night as work early so been doing 50% water change wipe down glass and add conditioner and EI (12-14ml)and cleaning pre filter and that's about it so any advice or recommendations welcome

How are you testing pH? Drop checker is just a pH test kit really so if its yellow your pH has dropped. Maybe need to calibrate your pH pen?

How are you testing pH? Drop checker is just a pH test kit really so if its yellow your pH has dropped. Maybe need to calibrate your pH pen?

got calibrating solution and calibrate yesterday, been testing today but didn't get out of bed early enough so missed first 20 mins so couldn't check Ph before co2 but 20mins in was 6.2 and then before lights on was 5.7 so there is a drop and as said covered in micro bubbles and must be at least 4 BPS if look closely micro bubbles on plants, hopefully dropped a bit if first 20 mins ;)

also a quick question what is average temp you keep your tank at ? I know certain species like certain temps but generally ?

Last edited:
Quick update, ph dropped 1.2 in hour today so that's good, plants look like going see through on certain leaves but sure new growth is there so hoping its just the change over from emerged to submerged , been doing daily water changes and ei dosing and wiping glass , submerged wood for ages an doesn't float but not sure if just want repens and Monte Carlo in here for iwagumi scape, leave it for now though, some pics
a6a3y8ev.jpg

asunaqa9.jpg

equna8uv.jpg

te8uzuje.jpg

yvary7ug.jpg

Slight problem now, have to go away with work Sunday afternoon until Friday and all be going so well, my lass is going EI dose daily but what is best option, cover up ? No lights or co2 going to get her to do 1 water change an I will do one Sunday before I go, and Friday when get back or you think will be ok as normal ?

P.s sorry about iPhone pics cannot find memory card for camera

Thanks Dean

You have the Mrs agreeing to water change for you?? You are a star my man!

so you would leave it all as is and maybe take hour off lights and get lass to do Ei ? just worried as away 4 nights and only week 2 but hopefully ok she is worried about water change so might tell her not to bother, you thinks that's for the best just get her to top up water also

so you would leave it all as is and maybe take hour off lights and get lass to do Ei ? just worried as away 4 nights and only week 2 but hopefully ok she is worried about water change so might tell her not to bother, you thinks that's for the best just get her to top up water also
Lower light intensity/duration will help loads mate,my missus is good as gold but wouldn't be confident with water changing in case any issues arose maybe change as much as 80% before you go and same when you get back co2 won't harm the plants but excess light will, just my opinion mate maybe someone else can offer up some guidance.

Lowered the light intensity and had my lass dose EI daily, didn't look bad as I thought when got back but had a spot with dead or dying plants, here is a few pics

jyhe5ezy.jpg

ena7y8y2.jpg

2ynyna2y.jpg

Dead spot , maybe due to large rock

abebesa6.jpg

Dirt on plant but tryed moving hose around fast to suck up all the dirt, also ordered a set of 17mm lily pipes a diffuser and heater so flow will be better as keeps saying low flow due to the 13mm reduction, so the 17mm pipes should mean brilliant flow but I seem to be getting good growth on the low flow areas directly under the lily pipe but too much flow shouldn't cause problems should it like co2 cannot get to plants as moving to quickly ? Also you think out diffuser on inlet or outlet just hate it when burps etc full of gas ,

Also cannot wait to get the stems out and just have repens and Monte Carlo

Thanks Dean

Alright Dean

Good to see it survived ok! I'm off on holiday for a week next weekend, hopefully my tank will be alright as well.

I'm not a fan of having CO2 going in the inlet, I've tried it with four filters and it's always caused burping and makes the filter really noisy.

Yeah I tried last time with same results so think will leave on outlet, getting some slight deficiency on plants at the moment slight browning around leaves which I know is co2 and also looks like some algae starting but can barley see it, done a large 80% water change again and going to stick with water change every 2-3 days for now, soon will land on my 4 on 4 off shifts so be able to do on morning, here is couple pics
3yju5use.jpg

yhe9uhez.jpg

6e9yvu8y.jpg

7apevytu.jpg

Hoping the new inline diffuser will be better for the co2 etc and plants will start to improve more, also still only have the one light up as not finished light unit yet

Thanks Dean

Back