• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Discus like a large minimalistic setup, alot of discus keepers go for bare bottom tanks so im not sure how well a planted tank will work

The discus display I had, that they regularly bred in, was half wooden roots and half lillies with surface pads. This was a tannin rich set up and they spent most of the time in the planted area.
I did get moaned at by some dedicated discus fanatics but I figured they were happy as they were breeding and out and about in a shop setting.

I think it's more a case of discus keepers prefer a minimalistic setup because they are easy to keep in them. The boldest most settled (which is easy to tell with discus colouration) have been in tanks with lots of cover.

I’m slightly confused are you looking to create an aquascape firstly and keep discus secondly or is having discus your main objective ?

The answer will then tell us which advice to give

Let get a few facts straight
If there is any beef heart in an Amazon river from a dead cow I’m positive the discus won’t be the species to benefit from it, beef heart is not a natural food, it’s a cheap way to get food into them, it’s messy and if it’s not eaten it soon pollutes the water, therefore bare tanks are used to breed and raise them.

Discus are cichlids so they are aggressive so you need atleast 6 so no individual receives excessive aggression

You tank size is too small to house 6 adult fish

You could buy 6-8 small fish and be lucky to get them all to a size where they form a pair, then this gives you more problems,
#you have to keep just the pair and sell / re home the others
# you’ve invested £100’s to obtain a breeding pair of discus, not just in the original purchase price of the fish but with special foods, extra water changes, maybe buying RO water or an RO filter plus all the hours you’ve spent on maintenance, so like most people you will want to raise the fish to a saleable size, who wouldn’t ?
# A nicely aquascaped aquarium
With plants, substrates etc etc isn’t going to give you the best chance of success not like a bare would, Do you leave it to luck ? Or do you remove everything to get to the bare tank setup ? Then you’ve wasted time and money on the substrate, plants, fertilisers, good lights, Co2 etc etc

So ask yourself what is your goal ?
answer truthfully or you will just go around in circles

What’s the latest update ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back