• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch 110ltr

Lol yes I think it is the only way I'm going to get them to maintain a scape for long enough 😂 feels like they invite me round just to display what a mess they have made of it 😂😂

So even with all the issues my plant addiction has hit again...

I only popped into the lfs for co2 and left with myriophyllum tuberculatum bunches 😂😂😂

Now I'm sorry to the cabomba peeps but it was just not thriving, additionally the star grass although nice really threw my eye composition wise.

So hear is the new addition, it will be a pain whilst it settles with the melt but it definitely a better choice for what I'm going for.

IMG_20220924_153536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_153515.jpg
    IMG_20220924_153515.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 108
So some after treatment and trim shots.

Trying to thin out the aromatica so it can keep the hieght whilst not shading out the wallatchi and sp red. Not my prittiest work if I'm honest. Thinking I may have to shape the aromatica again today and trim the wallatchi as they feel very rough shape wise.

Anyway let me know what you guys think of the scape so far 😊

IMG_20221002_070407.jpg

IMG_20221002_070520.jpg

IMG_20221002_070633.jpg

I like the 'street' of AR Mini that starts at the front and leads the eye to the back... but it sort of ends abruptedly with a bunch of too-tall Wallichii? I would want something that transitions more 'smoothly' after the AR Mini ends?

I like the 'street' of AR Mini that starts at the front and leads the eye to the back... but it sort of ends abruptedly with a bunch of too-tall Wallichii? I would want something that transitions more 'smoothly' after the AR Mini ends?
Hi Erwin I agree it sort creates a weird void in the middle. The original plan was to have the cardinalis become tall enough to make the road disappear, but after the 1 year of keeping it (it came from a previous tank) I realise it will never be tall enough to do so.

Since this post I have trimmed the wallatchi to the hieght of the rotala for health reasons and mushroom trimmed the aromatica, but the balance is definitely off in this section.

I'm temped to move the sp red to the wallatchi position and spread the mayaca across to cover this point and the lower area of the aromatica.

Its a beautiful plant and it is highly under used in the scape.

Thoughts?

So interesting development 🤔 the myriophyllum tuberculatum I bought appears to be turning green. At first I thought it was just a bit of algea from its shredding but nope I'm pritty confident it is turning green due to lighting not being optimum for this plant.
Thoughts? @erwin123 @_Maq_ @Freshflora @GreggZ
IMG_20221005_204626.jpg

So interesting development 🤔 the myriophyllum tuberculatum I bought appears to be turning green. At first I thought it was just a bit of algea from its shredding but nope I'm pritty confident it is turning green due to lighting not being optimum for this plant.
View attachment 195381
Never grown it, so not quite sure what’s going on. At first glance though it does look like algae to me, so I’d confirm for sure that it isn’t first. A look at the Barr Report’s plant profile on it says Tuberculatum will maintain its color even in medium lighting, but again I haven’t grown it so I can’t say for sure.

View attachment 195381
Looks a lot like the beginning of cyanobacteria to me. The very intense green color is a giveaway. Peculiar place to have cyano tho

you probably got the entire stem in submersed form, but the water parameters in the previous tank are different from your current tank. so what happens is that the plant is in the process of converting, and the plant may put all its energy towards this conversion (i.e. growing new leaves), therefore, the old leaves are "weak" and become algae magnets?

I haven't grown tuberculatum either but I have M. 'Roraima'/'red stem' in my tank which is probably close enough - and I did have some algae on the older leaves but the new growth is fine.

You sure it's turning green? From the picture I agree with above it looks like some type of algae.

Myrio's like that generally don't turn green. And if it did for some reason it would usually start at the tops. It looks like this runs down the stem a bit and the lower part of the stems do not look well. It just seems like it's not happy and perky like it should be. Looks like something is missing?

20220821_120051.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers all 😊 thought I'd ask as it is a bit strange as when I try to remove the green it's stubbern. The nutrition parameters are good all round. I know I'm going to get "but that so expensive" in compared to salts" but I'm following the full ei approach with the flourish range so the nutrition is good.

I reckon it's old leaves getting the algea treatment or Cyanobacteria taking advange of a tall stem. Turns out in the uk all bga treatments are very weak as the good stuff is illegal over here.

I need to give it its first top and replant this weekend so will do that first and monitor. If I'm getting the same I'll have to do a 4 day blackout to see if it's just Cyanobacteria.

Cheers all I will keep you posted!!

So.... As most following this will know I'm a "bit" commited to ensuring this scape comes together perfectly. With the composition trumping any hardcore dutch rules around number of plants.

This paragraph is what I'm sticking with as my excuse for the new additions and not just my addiction to making improvements and adding new plants. 😂

So 2 new plant additions and a currently poorly applied background.

Plants:-
-helanthium bolivianum (central point golden ratio)
-hygrophila polysperma (between rotala's to break the dominance of the myriophyllum tuberculatum)

Photos following..

Tank looks really great, but how long does that co2 tank last😮😮 looks tiny.
Hey Plantnoobdude,

How funny you should ask the co2 is on a 95gr system atm. During the grow in period it was lasting 4 weeks but that has gradually been coming down.

Because I can't quite go full on with a proper fire extinguisher style system due to costs. I have bought an adaptor today to upgrade to a 800gr tank. Hoping with the new system when the tank is fitted to last about 3 months.

Will update you when fitted. 😊

Well here is a bugger of a problem to have....

So I'm loving the whole h'ra turn orange, wallatchi getting its red tips and rotala red getting richer, with what is clearly a on the edge nitrate level, but the hydrophila is following suit 🙄 getting deep greens whilst working with the other two is becoming a challenge...

IMG_20221013_182431.jpg

Not to mention this tank is becoming a bit of a nitrate beast. I've given it 3 times what I used to dose...

So I've finally spent enough time to do some proper trimming. Always a sad time but things were suffering and twisting with the density.
IMG_20221016_132312.jpg

IMG_20221016_132315.jpg

Now on review there is a number of plants not working for me in this tank:-
-helanthium bolivianum
-hygrophila polysperma
-ludwigia sp red

Two are the new ones and I could ride it out to see if they grow in better but I feel the colours need to be cool greens. Going to get a shift on to fine something to replace or rearrange into these spots.

Back