• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Untitled Yet 300L optiwhite (Trimmed)

Tony Swinney said:
Thats a lovely looking tank - very healthy :)

I agree with Paulo, uproot the blyxa, split it all down into new stems and replant it. Once established it grows like wildfire.

tony

yup, mind has insane growth. once mature and liking the water conditions it can double in size every couple of weeks.

is this tank in Walthamstow ?.

Piece-of-fish said:
The area i want to fill is between mm and hairgrass, just under the filter tubes so that has to be something midground height.

I reckon you need something with very fine texture.
Otherwise it will overpower the hairgrass and mm.

Maybe,

potamageton gayi
potamageton octandrus
Pogostemon erectus (not sure of the size of this, the leaf shape looks suitable though).

then again, as the mm has such a small leaf size, maybe the above would still overpower it. In which case maybe another plant with a small leaf size would work better, in which case:

didiplis diandra
myriophyllum mezianum

both spring to mind.

All the above are stems that could be pruned to the rquired height\shape, so I think would be viable in this setup.

Of the above I think I would go for the myriophyllum.

Hope that helps :D

You might get away with a bacopa sp. too.
Bacopa Caroliniana has a nice reddish tinge which might work.

That should give you enough to research for a while :lol:

nelson said:

:rolleyes: Tickets on sale for the February meet, limited availability :D

Thanks Matt. I will check them. All names are new to me :oops:

And i think the addition of staurogyne is a mistake. First of all it wont be visible that much behind hairgrass, second leaf structure is too different and creates a conflict. I might keep it for a while though until i manage another setup in the office. Hope you guys will have what too look at when you come. I might try and bring my nano from home just to see how it transports to get an idea before vivarium show.

a1Matt said:
You might get away with a bacopa sp. too.
Bacopa Caroliniana has a nice reddish tinge which might work.

That should give you enough to research for a while :lol:

Oh yes. 4.5 months to go ;)

:clap:

Post back if any of those species jump out in particular and I will see if I can think of any more in that vein.

Piece-of-fish said:
nelson said:

i'll give you 2 pence for a ticket :p .

myriophyllum mezianum is very nice.slow-ish grower though,i think.

nelson said:
Piece-of-fish said:
nelson said:

i'll give you 2 pence for a ticket :p .

myriophyllum mezianum is very nice.slow-ish grower though,i think.

Ehei here comes the profit, tickets receive demand :idea:
:lol: Nothing grows slow under 400w :lol:
I am a bit concerned to use stems in these areas. They grow too fast and would be constantly blocking inlets.
Talking about slow growth. Limnophyla is quite slow comared to micraithemoides. Have to learn how to get the timing right.

Neil you work close to here as far as i remember so are welcome to come in anytime ;)
Pm me if interested.

i'm based in E17 but out and about all day :( .might have to wait until february ;) .

nelson said:
i'm based in E17 but out and about all day :( .might have to wait until february ;) .
Dont look for exuses haha ;)
We are open 12-20...

Hello, about time to make an update.
Lots of different things happened since last update. The tank is coming together nicely. I had some issues first of all with green dust and GDA and secondly with hair algae inside the hairgrass carpet.
Both problems seem have to be solved now.
Green dust and GDA disappeared after i have switched to midday burst method instead of running halides for 6-7 hours.
I now put them on only for 3, 2 hours after the T5s are on. The rest of the time the tank is lit by only 2x39w T5s.
Fish are a lot happier with this as well and tank is much much better to look at. Colours not being washed out by powerful halides.
Hair algae was really bad, i have been pulling a lot every week out of the carpet.
I has disappeared suddenly after the last weekend.
Now 2 things happened.
1) I have switched the flow pattern. Used to run 2x filters on one side plus 1500lph powerhead. Now run only one filter plus to powerheads 1500 and 3000lph all from one side.
2) Dosing heavily with liquid carbon.

I have dosed in the past as well quite heavily and hair algae still grew well so i tend to believe it was gone more because of the additional flow. Might be wrong though.
I am now planning to completely replant the background as tank will be run for another 4-5 months to mature.
Hairgrass is getting quite dense as well. Do you think i should completely trim it to the ground to renew?
Some changes to the anubias and fern positioning as i now see where they all are going.
I have also added some fissidens and pelia in the middle. Will make the rocks on which they are planted higher for it to be more visible.

So here are some new photos and hopefully a bit later a video of fish being fed.
Your critique and advise about the carpet and overall composition is very welcome...

meetfull.jpg

meetwide.jpg

meetcloseup.jpg

Re: Untitled Yet 300L optiwhite (19/02 pics and video)

Wow! This is really very nice, Edward.

The composition is excellent.

Before you re-plant the background - if you trimmed a more concave (U) shape into the stems, that would instantly provide more interest and depth.

I'd like to see the ferns mature some more too. Perhaps some Fissendens on the wood as well?

The hairgrass looks amazing. One of the best carpets I've seen. Is there any sign of it suffering? If not, then just keep trimming it. Tobi's Spezial-N ferts works wonders for it too...

Thanks for sharing. One of the nicest 'scapes on UKAPS right now. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot George. Takes a lot of attention from work this one now :lol:
I will definitely make it u-shape. It just when i trimmed it last time i had to let it go all the way up and after that somewhy didnt trim into a good shape properly.
I would like to add some moss on wood instead of fisidens. Maybe weeping one?
Regarding hairgrass perhaps you are right, maybe just thinning it will do. It no longer looks awkward as parvula and acicularis have mixed. I would definitely trim it to the ground because of hair algae but now as it has cleared probably will leave it.
Probably trimming it alltogether with the background would upset the balance a lot.
Heard good things about Tobis ferts as well but cant afford it for such a big tank :( Dosing EI
I will get it and test on other tanks and maybe during last month before IAPLC switch to them if they improve colours greatly.

Video should get here tomorrow as just made an account on vimeo and uploaded my first vid.
Shame 500d has only auto control on video :(
Saving for 7d now.

Also got manfrotto tripod yesterday and fell in love with it straight away. What a difference after cheap hama :)
Thanks again for your kind words.

just keeps getting better :D .
really looking forward to seeing this now.i'll bring my scissors for some cuttings :lol: .

Thanks Neil. Getting ready for the meet as you see :D
You can have as much micraithemoides as you can carry :lol:

Edward this is absolutely stunning, what a brilliant scape! You should be well proud of yourself mate!

Ben

Thanks a lot Ben.
Now how do i put a video from vimeo here? Or is youtube a better option?

Watch both videos further down the posts ;)

Back