• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Trio

I would agree, the more you fiddle with a shrimp tank. The more that can go wrong. Shrimp prefer it dirty with mulm etc. I see them picking away at everything in mine. And the crabs skulk about in the cover. Lots of ostracods can be seen in the evenings flitting about the glass and amongst the mulm.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate and now the tank has settled I'm planning weekly 30% but I'll be adding a small amount of magnesium and calcium to bring the GH up from 3 to 7 and dosing ferts every 2nd day

What is your tap GH and what parameters did you run it at?

I would also highly recommend adding spirulina powder to their diet. You will see the difference in them within a few days. The colors intensify immensely.

Thanks mate and now the tank has settled I'm planning weekly 30% but I'll be adding a small amount of magnesium and calcium to bring the GH up from 3 to 7 and dosing ferts every 2nd day

What is your tap GH and what parameters did you run it at?

tap water GH is around 4 or 5 if I remember correctly, but tbf I haven't tested it in ages, I just go by TDS for my shrimp tanks, my water sits at around 70-100 tds so I just stuck with that for the neocaridina, for crystals I tend to keep it simple and just go RO remineralised to 130, but a friend uses straight tapwater for them and see's no difference, I think this is testament to tougher shrimp than anything else.

But yeah, for bloody mary neocardina,

TDS 70-100
GH 5
KH 5 (I think, been ages since testing)
temp anything from room temp to 25 degrees, noticed better breeding with a heater set at 25.

I would also highly recommend adding spirulina powder to their diet. You will see the difference in them within a few days. The colors intensify immensely.

I've heard this recently, may even have read it on one of your threads, got a bag of spirulina the other day, so i'll be trying this also :)

I've heard this recently, may even have read it on one of your threads, got a bag of spirulina the other day, so i'll be trying this also :)
Yeah, I had forgotten to add it to their diet recently. And as soon as I did they changed so quickly. Dull cherry females have now gone deep red. And the males have improved also in color.

Can't wait to see how the bolts will color up

I actually ordered 100% spirulina powder at the start of the week and was thinking of mix with bacter AE and feeding 2-3 times a week

tap water GH is around 4 or 5 if I remember correctly, but tbf I haven't tested it in ages, I just go by TDS for my shrimp tanks, my water sits at around 70-100 tds so I just stuck with that for the neocaridina, for crystals I tend to keep it simple and just go RO remineralised to 130, but a friend uses straight tapwater for them and see's no difference, I think this is testament to tougher shrimp than anything else.

But yeah, for bloody mary neocardina,

TDS 70-100
GH 5
KH 5 (I think, been ages since testing)
temp anything from room temp to 25 degrees, noticed better breeding with a heater set at 25.

Thanks Colin, bit different to mine but hopefully i've found something that works for me at TDS - 170, dGH 7-8, dKH 2, 24deg but i'm going to increase to 25

Where did you buy your bloody marys from? once i've had a stable few weeks with no deaths I want to introduce a few more high quality shrimp (didn't want to do it while the tank was in limbo)

I actually ordered 100% spirulina powder at the start of the week and was thinking of mix with bacter AE and feeding 2-3 times a week

Thanks Colin, bit different to mine but hopefully i've found something that works for me at TDS - 170, dGH 7-8, dKH 2, 24deg but i'm going to increase to 25

Where did you buy your bloody marys from? once i've had a stable few weeks with no deaths I want to introduce a few more high quality shrimp (didn't want to do it while the tank was in limbo)

They should do very well in those parameters, they're adaptable, just slow movers when it comes to breeding I've found.

I got mine here :) https://riverpark.biz/shrimp/100-bloody-mary-red-cherry-shrimp-neocaridina-davidi-x-1.html

Bacter E is something I am thinking of adding, as the benefits for hatch rates and shrimplets are raved about by all the breeders I follow.

I would say relicon for the most amazing bloody Mary's if you can pay those prices. Or find someone that gets their shrimp from the holy grail of breeders silane.

The fact people will pay up to 3500dollars for one of their shrimp speaks for itself.

I'd advise not changing water too quickly, it can promote excess moulting and death that way. Patience also, it took my bloody mary shrimp a few months, but when I broke down my trio I must have pulled at least 50 shrimp out. I did one water change a week (50%) with no additives in terms of minerals, I did however add liquid ferts and tapsafe

View attachment 113855
That's a nice tank, is there a journal for this or a list of plants.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's a nice tank, is there a journal for this or a list of plants.

Hi, no journal sorry, however the three plants I used were java trident, java moss and monte carlo, that's it :)

I also stuck some devils ivy (pothos) in the rear sump, as it's brilliant for removing nitrates and other nasties.

Hi, no journal sorry, however the three plants I used were java trident, java moss and monte carlo, that's it :)

I also stuck some devils ivy (pothos) in the rear sump, as it's brilliant for removing nitrates and other nasties.
Apologies for going off topic on this thread. Did you use c02 to grow the Monte Carlo? And how did you create that dimmed light effect within the tank?

Apologies for going off topic on this thread. Did you use c02 to grow the Monte Carlo? And how did you create that dimmed light effect within the tank?

no problem at all :)

No co2 or liquid carbon, just liquid ferts once a week. I've found monte carlo to do really well in low tech set-ups with moderate to medium lighting, it's my go to carpeting plant.

For the lighting, I haven't done anything apart from take the picture in a dark room, I think the dark substrate also helps absorb some of the lighting as opposed to a lighter substrate reflecting back :)

Found one of my shrimp this morning with what looks like a green fungal infection on its swimmeretes.

Can't see it on any other shrimp yet but I'm trying to find info on how to treat it and if isolating will stop it spreading or if I need to treat the entire tank (only 10 shrimp but 1 x is 2 weeks berried), and also what to treat it with

Last edited:
Found one of my shrimo this morning with what looks like a green fungal infection on its swimmeretes.

Can't see it on any other shrimp yet but I'm trying to find info on how to treat it and if isolating will stop it spreading or if I need to treat the entire tank (only 10 shrimo but 1 x is 2 weeks berried), and also what to treat it with

highly suggested to isolate asap, not sure if it can effectively be treated though

highly suggested to isolate asap, not sure if it can effectively be treated though

Yeh will isolate tonight when i get home. Didn't have time this morning before i left for work. Fingers crossed it doesn't wipe out the small colony i have after i thought i was getting somewhere

Very conflicting info on the net about it regarding how to treat and causes

Yeh will isolate tonight when i get home. Didn't have time this morning before i left for work. Fingers crossed it doesn't wipe out the small colony i have after i thought i was getting somewhere

Very conflicting info on the net about it regarding how to treat and causes

yeah info online isn't the best, unfortunate luck on the fungus, I've been lucky not to experience it but a friend has @SinkorSwim

Back