• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Trio

Latest count is 15 shrimplets that I can see and I also have another berried female

On another note the salt dips and ich meds arent working on the sickly shrimp and the fungal infection remains

Unfortunately the shrimp with the fungal infection didn't make it, the ich meds and salt baths didn' seem to touch it

The good news is the 20+ shrimplets seem to be doing well, moulting and growing already

....... And I now have 2 more berried females, so in a few weeks the numbers will have jumped fairly drastically!

mixed fortunes again with this, shrimplets seem to be doing well and are growing quickly, but found 2 dead adults and both berried shrimp have dropped their eggs, unsure if one of the dead ones was one of the berried females, looked like failed moults

parameters were all normal apart from TDS seems to creep up uncontrollably in this tank for some reason and was around 270 before WC (only dropped to 240 after), only lightly dosing all in one ferts every 2 days so. All i can think is the hardness is tipping the higher end of the scale for them (didn't check dGH prior to WC)

50% water change, clean out and fingers crossed...

Sorry if you have already said this, but are you topping up any water evaporation with RO water? I’m coming from a Marine background, so not sure if that’s important here.

Sorry if you have already said this, but are you topping up any water evaporation with RO water? I’m coming from a Marine background, so not sure if that’s important here.

Not using RO at all in any of my tanks for water changes or top ups, I've got soft water with a TDS between 40-60 and 2dGH so there's no need

So I'm pretty sure I found the issue and it's as above, dGH is currently sitting at 10 and that is post water change a couple of days ago, it usually sits about 7/8 and I reckon it must have been around 12 when the deaths happened

I've cleaned out the finer sponge as it was pretty badly clogged up and fitted a new Eheim compact 300 pump to replace the standard aqua one pump, flow is much better and after a couple of hours the tank is a hive of activity again

Was a bit too quick to judge as one of the adults is still berried as well, was just hard to see and I think some eggs might have been dropped but not all

20180402_215718-1008x756.jpg
20180402_215625-1008x756.jpg
20180402_220028-756x1008.jpg

Water change tonight, TDS now down to 175 and dGH 7 so I'm happy with how it's sitting at the minute

Also noticed a few things moving in the bucket just before pouring down the drain..... Fished out 5 new shrimplets that can't be more than a day or 2 old and spotted a few more in the tank, 2 week old shrimplet on the leaf above

20180405_205126-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
New additions to the tank, 6 Bloody Marys, 10 were shipped but unfortunately 4 didn't make it and were having seizures in the bag when they arrived, 3 others were in a bad way but have managed to pull through and all are doing great now

20180409_184321-1008x756.jpg

Back