• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Trio

Tried it last year when my cherries had it. Lost over 90% to it. Treatment seemed to work to begin with using weak solution of WS1, but losses were very rapid.

Not good reading, going to swing by Maidenhead Aquatics after work (only place local that will still be open) and see what they have.

Plan of attack at the minute is quarantine all showing signs of being affected and salt bath them, just unsure whether to dose the main tank lightly as well just in case as it's likely to spread, with a berried female i'm wondering what is worse at the minute

I dosed in QT and main tank, but i suppose i noticed the infection at too late a stage.

So this is the tank as of tonight, infected shrimp caught and is in the separate tub to the side for now, will be be setting up a bucket with airpump for it as a short term QT

It was given a salt bath (1tbl spoon salt in a mug) for a minute and then put in the small tub with 1 drop of eSHa exit

Main tank has had the sand cleaned and a 20% WC and been treated with 4 drops of eSHa exit so has a nice green glow to it tonight, added some spirulina powder to hopefully keep their minds off it....

20180314_192359-1008x756.jpg

Terrible out of focus picture but my Samsung doesn't do close ups...

All shrimp are grazing OK so far after dosing and berried female is bursting at the seams

Attachments

• 20180314_221816.jpg
    20180314_221816.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
I'd advise not changing water too quickly, it can promote excess moulting and death that way.

As far as cherry shrimp are concerned, large water changes are the way to go. I have hundreds of them, never an issue with large water changes, on the contrary... Here are mine feasting at the front of the tank after a 90% water change
20180311_184958.jpg

As far as cherry shrimp are concerned, large water changes are the way to go. I have hundreds of them, never an issue with large water changes, on the contrary... Here are mine feasting at the front of the tank after a 90% water change
20180311_184958.jpg

I rather meant the frequency of water changes, I've found in the past that multiple water changes during the week has caused deaths, but cherries can be bulletproof depending on their sourcing lol

20180311_184958.jpg
What are those plants in the middle and back right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Going by that theory then the need to very slowly acclimatise the Shrimp when first introducing wouldn't be as big a deal as it's made out to be as well then? Introducing new water parameters quickly is surely never a good idea?

Going by that theory then the need to very slowly acclimatise the Shrimp when first introducing wouldn't be as big a deal as it's made out to be as well then? Introducing new water parameters quickly is surely never a good idea?

When you do regular large water changes you don't change parameters. The large regular water changes ensure that there's not enough shift between tank and tap in the long run, at any given time. When you buy shrimp they're not acclimated to your tap/tank water, hence in that case you need to acclimate. But once that's done,shrimp are acclimated to your tank water, then one needs to ensure that in the long run tank and tap/source water should not differ by any measurable parameter if one's doing enough water changing, and there'll be no more shock. I have a TDS meter and go by that but generally one large weekly water change will be enough to keep things stable as long as one doesn't skip it...

Everywhere I read about shrimp, people keep advising about doing small water changes, etc...and keep getting dead shrimp....shrimp not breeding fast enough, shrimplets not surviving, etc....Now why don't people try large very regular water changes and the deaths and issues will stop....This applies to fish also.

When you do regular large water changes you don't change parameters. The large regular water changes ensure that there's not enough shift between tank and tap in the long run, at any given time. When you buy shrimp they're not acclimated to your tap/tank water, hence in that case you need to acclimate. But once that's done,shrimp are acclimated to your tank water, then one needs to ensure that in the long run tank and tap/source water should not differ by any measurable parameter if one's doing enough water changing, and there'll be no more shock. I have a TDS meter and go by that but generally one large weekly water change will be enough to keep things stable as long as one doesn't skip it...

Everywhere I read about shrimp, people keep advising about doing small water changes, etc...and keep getting dead shrimp....shrimp not breeding fast enough, shrimplets not surviving, etc....Now why don't people try large very regular water changes and the deaths and issues will stop....This applies to fish also.

Because it's risky with higher grades, it doesn't matter so much with hardier low grade shrimp

Because it's risky with higher grades, it doesn't matter so much with hardier low grade shrimp

They are as sensitive as you make them out to be....

The problem with sensitivity in fish/shrimp comes from keeping them the wrong way.......The most sensitive fish always seem to be those kept in manually enriched RO water.....Guess why..:rolleyes: ,,,,User error....and again lack of water changes with proper stable water....

Looks yummie:D
Homemade?

The smell of pure spirulina powder is.... Interesting :hungover:

Yeh homemade with 150ml water, 2g agar agar powder, 1 part bacter AE and 2 parts spirulina, boiled then set

After trying various expensive foods (GG shrimp dinner, shrimp king mineral, dennerle crustacean etc..) and barely getting a reaction from them, it's the cheap spirulina jelly that has them fighting over food for the first ever time

20180319_223109-756x1008.jpg

Spotted the first babies tonight, counted 9 so far and berried shrimp has no eggs left so will keep an eye out over the next few days

(light has been left on for longer to induce algae for the new arrivals btw...)

20180321_223011-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
Back