• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
If you add more surface agitation you get more O2 and can add more CO2
Im struggling with that, in normal submerged use, the lily causes a slight wave/ripple (im not sure if thats enough to oxygenate the water) or if I have it sat a millimeter below the surface or anywhere higher than that it gurgles loudly because it creates a loud bath type vortex which is surely not how it is supposed to be installed??

Regarding the Brown Algae problems, Im now starting to worry as its showing no sign of letting up and is now starting to really effect older HC leaves. Im guessing I will have to reduce my lighting even further. Its currently running at 70%. Ive put it down to 50% as a trial, does that sound ok? I dont know if low lights start to effect plants that require higher light by nature? The photo period is 7.25 hours, 2 of which are ramp up and down.

I believe that reducing the light will just slow down the rate of growth, what size is your tile is it a 1000 or 1500?

Have you tried a blackout to remove the algae?

I believe that reducing the light will just slow down the rate of growth, what size is your tile is it a 1000 or 1500?

Have you tried a blackout to remove the algae?

1000ND

No havn't tried, does a blackout need to be literally zero light or is ambient Ok? I'm guessing co2 and ferts also not required within that time?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

It's best to have no light and no ferts or CO2 needed either. Best to try and cover the sides and Top of the tank to black it out.

Today I have trimmed the HC back a bit and tried to remove as much unhealthy stuff as possible. Ive reduced the lighting down to 40%, dosed some extra PO4, increased the surface agitation and kept the CO2 as high as possible. Ive added three Oto's this evening. The tank isnt looking so bad, Id have it down as salvageable at the moment.

In order to avoid water changes in mid photoperiod and just after photoperiod Im going to "try" and get out of bed early before work to do a morning water change. Hopefully this will keep the CO2 consistent in the afternoons.

Positive Thinking!

1 Month Now, the reduction of light down to 40% and the Oto's have made a huge difference. The Brown algae has almost gone and the HC is looking far more healthy. Everything is growing a lot quicker than it was too so I presume its all rooting.

Ive had to remove my Hydor Heater and send it back because it stopped working. I now have a internal heater as a temporary.

The Shrimp are growing and starting to develop yellow saddles so hopefully I'll have some babies within a month :) My largest female has been sitting on a rock (vertically) and hasnt moved for hours this evening...does anyone know what shrimp do when moving eggs from ovaries to tail? Could this be what shes doing or should I approach her with my hand to see if she swims off? Ive havnt seen any of my shrimp this inactive before.

do1SclH.jpg

Update, everything is carpeting fairly well, however recently the HC has gone back to looking a little sad, I may have to trim it right back. Not sure of the cause. The corners of the tank have HC suffering with low light by the look of it. But still having brown algae means I don't particularly want to increase it. Catch 22
a8anyqe9.jpg

Ottos may help you out in the short term if your still having this problem.

7 Weeks and my tank has officially broken me, Im well and truly fed up!

The plants at the front are clearly unhealthy (CO2 related im told) but as you can see the CO2 is belting out and the Drop Checker is yellow, My shrimp are routed to the spot and are clearly unhappy. The only way I can get some oxygen in there to avoid killing everything is by having the Lily above the surface which creates a loud slopping noise, not what I want!

Help!

Hi Richard, sorry for your woes. My advice would be to lower the intensity of the lighting which will enable you to cut back on co2 and in general energy spent on the tank, unfortunately this will mean slower growth, which can also be disheartening but ime rewarding when your tank reaches a point your happy with, keep at it mate :)

Shrimp are out they can't be that stressed when I have over done co2 my shrimp have either hidden or made a break for freedom over the edge.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Shrimp are out they can't be that stressed when I have over done co2 my shrimp have either hidden or made a break for freedom over the edge.

What you can't see is 10 females all hiding under the main rock...which they don't usually do.

Ive decided to crank the lighting down to 35% which Im guessing will kill off the corners of the tank which are already struggling, but if it gets of the brown algae CO2 issues then im all for it. I have a new CO2Art Regulator on the way which should mean I have more control over the bubble count (the current one is not altering correctly). I also think I should probably go back to daily water changes because things have only got worse once I started doing them every four/five days.

Oh bummer. What are you running the light at at the moment??

Back