• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Saw this scape on Sunday, it a very clean and tidy scape. It's very relaxed and serene scape. It's given me some inspiration for my next scape, thank you for that George!

Hi all,

Not much to report really.

The bad news is that there is persistent BBA on the open areas of the wood. I always seem to get this on Manzanita and think it is because it's constantly degrading and releasing organic matter that feeds the algae.

The hairgrasses are growing well. Soon I will prune them to the appropriate height to encourage more carpeting at the height I'm after.

I'm changing 60% of the water every 3 days a few hours before the photoperiod. Conductivity rises really quickly due to the limestone content of the rock. It's almost 200 by the time it's water change time, and I'm using 100% RO. Fish, shrimp and plants are all looking great though, so there's no worries.

I'll post some pics soon post haircut.

Cheers,
George

Hi all,

A few pics from today during and after a water change.

60% water change
water change.jpg

Close-up of exposed mosses
water change close-up.jpg

Amano shrimp
amano shrimp.jpg

Cherry shrimp
cherry.jpg

Crystal red shrimp
crs.jpg

Black neon tetras
black neons.jpg

Left-hand side
left side.jpg

Full-tank
full tank.jpg

I'm happy with the progress so far - only 10 days since planting.

Of course, the mature moss-covered wood helps with the illusion that it's a lot older than it is... :)

Its looking great George and the shrimp photos are brilliant:thumbup:

I see on your first photo of the tank you have the glassware removed, how do you remove your pipework... do you heat the tubing up? I ask as I'm new to using glassware and don't want to break mine when I come to clean them:facepalm: - I was toying with the idea of ejecting the whole tap unit from the G6 and lifting the whole lot out, but it would be handy to be able to just remove the glassware like you have done.

Thanks guys. :)

Gary - the glassware comes off really easily on here. I actually think my hose is a touch bigger than 12mm but there's no leaking so it's ok! I do have to really tighten up the clamps on the inline diffuser though...

If you are finding it tough to remove your glassware/hose then first try squeezing the hose near the glass and twist/bend gently to break the seal. If that doesn't work then a hairdryer might work.

After breaking Dan Crawford's ADA inlet a few years ago I'm super careful now, but even so am on my second gUSH inlet! But that was dropping it on my granite kitchen surface. :(

Good luck. You'll soon find a reliable method that works for you. Glassware maintenance is all part of the fun of being an aquascaper! :)

Thanks guys. :)

Gary - the glassware comes off really easily on here. I actually think my hose is a touch bigger than 12mm but there's no leaking so it's ok! I do have to really tighten up the clamps on the inline diffuser though...

If you are finding it tough to remove your glassware/hose then first try squeezing the hose near the glass and twist/bend gently to break the seal. If that doesn't work then a hairdryer might work.

After breaking Dan Crawford's ADA inlet a few years ago I'm super careful now, but even so am on my second gUSH inlet! But that was dropping it on my granite kitchen surface. :(

Good luck. You'll soon find a reliable method that works for you. Glassware maintenance is all part of the fun of being an aquascaper! :)

Cheers for the tips George... I only have some budget ones from HK at the moment, but still treating them like ADA ones lol - I would like some gUSH ones eventually, but I'll see how I go with these.... even though they are cheep ones id still not let Ian clean them though ;):lol: well not unless I knew he was using a new brush at least.

Hi all,

It's been 2 weeks since planting and I'm really pleased with the progress so far.

The hairgrass is taking off, especially the parvula. I still get the occasion E. 'mini' floaters, due to the Amano shrimp, but it's not enough to impact on the overall effect.

The BBA is actually clearing up. I am witnessing the Amano shrimp eating it, along with chunks of the soft outer layer of Manzanita wood. They are really great little critters. They remind me of horses in a way, constantly eating and pooing. I try to siphon as much as their waste as possible during each water change, which I do every 3 days (60% using RO).

I've also spotted a big batch of cherry shrimp babies amongst the grasses, which is always nice to see. I wonder how long they'll last with the relatively big Amano shrimp though...

I'm going to try out a glass spraybar from APFUK soon. This will replace my gUSH lily outlet. It will be interesting to note the difference in circulation and consequent growth rates.

Some pics. :)

_MG_2538.jpg

_MG_2540.jpg

_MG_2541.jpg

_MG_2546.jpg

_MG_2548.jpg

_MG_2553.jpg

George, this is stunning! :thumbup: Personally "these kind" of scapes, are my favorites, some manzi wood/red moor + rocks and some clever plant selection, makes the whole thing a bit "minimal". I loved your previous layout also, but this is way more elegant! Like Scree. ;)
Anyway I just want to congrats for this beauty, and keep up good work!

Thanks, Stevo! :)

I forgot to say - I've added a few more small pieces of Manzi too. You can probably tell because they're paler than the others. Over the next few weeks they'll blend in better and maybe even get coated with some moss as it spreads.

The bad news is that there is persistent BBA on the open areas of the wood. I always seem to get this on Manzanita and think it is because it's constantly degrading and releasing organic matter that feeds the algae.

Try adding a Panaqolus! Only one is enough. It will eat the old wood before it decays and this way BBA will not grow anymore. It really works, the only place I get BBA is where the Panaqolus can't get:p

Loving the established moss, hope mine turns out as good as yours ! Really well done :)

Try adding a Panaqolus! Only one is enough. It will eat the old wood before it decays and this way BBA will not grow anymore. It really works, the only place I get BBA is where the Panaqolus can't get:p

I would be worried about it uprooting plants as it looks too bulky to be able to swim through the plants, bit like a pleco would.

Interesting idea, thanks. Can you recommend a species that remains small and that won't touch the mosses?

I've a Panaqolus maccus, this is the most common one and in the Netherlands it is always sold as Peckoltia vittata (clown algae eater, clown pleco or such). It gets 10 cm max, but I've never seen such a large one. Another one quite common is L169, this one stays even smaller (max 8 cm) but will probably be a little more expensive.

I would be worried about it uprooting plants as it looks too bulky to be able to swim through the plants, bit like a pleco would.

Never had any problems with it. I do with my L270 sometimes. But the Panaqolus never leaves the wood.

Disclaimer: prices and availability may be different from the Netherlands:p

Back