To further the above post.
I checked the TDS which has been as low as 130 and high as 190 over the past 2 weeks. I was 183. Which I thought was odd.
I then pulled out the much ignored APS test kit and tested for Ammonia as the Algae guides clearly give this as one reason. The colour match was saying 2ppm on Ammonia. Hmmm. So that to me, means there is something wrong and that the bacteria cannot break down organics.
Of course I do what every noob does and go into a complete blind panic. Only because its posh shrimp, small tank, bad things happen fast etc etc.
Truth. I stopped doing my powerpoint for work and sat there and thought about what could have happened.
In the end I am guessing there has been too much organics for the shrimp, plants and bacteria to consume so it has started to go bad.
Actions taken so far:-
- I have cut some of the plants back
- Do a mid week clean of the tank glass with a toothbrush.
- Pulled out the moss ball that was a nice home for the hair algae.
- Cleared all the trimmings
- Siphoned out some water and some particles that were flowing around from the substrate. Total water removed 20-30%
- Re-introduced the Purigen into the filter (I know its supposed to remove nitrogenous organic waste from the water, which leads to Amonia etc) which has been out for 4 weeks.
- Removed the FrogBit and lots of snails
- Added in today's dose of Benibachi Beemax.
- Will add some banana leaves shortly
Am thinking, but would like some input that I would do another 20% water change tomorrow?
BTW After all of that I did another Ammonia test to find the colour was 0ppm.
So I conclude a couple of things, in the order of belief.
- The test kit is a little unreliable - I have Clive to thank for this one.
- I managed to contain the situation in 15mins flat like the shrimp super hero I am. <cough> <splutter>
But something has gone on that has triggered the hair algae.
All thoughts, tips and recommendations very welcome.