• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Next Episode - 800 litres

Hi, thx for reply. I just put my order in for one. What fittings does it come with? I have 1" return hard pipe at the moment. Do I need to get any connectors? Looking good by the way .

No worries :)

You won't be disappointed, if you are, don't blame me :D

Did you go for the 9000? You get 2 hose tails so you can run it external if you want and a basket/grill thing if you're running internal. I'm also running 25mm/inch so you're fine. There's 4 steps to the hose tail measuring 20mm, 25mm, 30mm & 36mm (ish)

I've just had a read through your journal, how's it going?

I got some nice fella at B&Q to cut me the front and side panel for the stand today. We've decided on matte white vinyl for the finish o_O

The tank seems to be shrinking all the time though :crazy:

When I added the water it looked a lot smaller than when it was empty, then when I've put the panels on today it looks even smaller. Add in the fact that I'm getting used to the size anyway and it's not good :(

Roll on the "Final Episode" that's all I can say ;) :D

Last edited:
The "schrinking-effect" is well known *lol*.
Hardscape goes in; size halves - plants go in; size halves again..........
One optical trick, though, is to keep "stuff" not too close to front glass. This gives better impression of depth and perspective. Another trick is to move one or two taller plant forwards, to avoid a "hedge-effect" in background. This is purely for perspective.
- it'll be a beautifull tank anyway - don't worry !! :thumbup:

This is crackin'
Really like the fact that you've put the glass together yourself. Test fill must have been a bit hairy. Have you done this before? Envious of anybody who can apply silicon neatly ;)
The lighting and the bracket/rig are very stylish and modern, lovely.
The layout and shape of the wood is really striking.
If it is not to late, please can I request a few pics of the stages when you lay out the substrate?
How is the weir? I've read somewhere that the comb possibly makes it a little less efficient and noisier, is that right? Do you intend to hide the whole weir somehow?
Watching

The "schrinking-effect" is well known *lol*.
Hardscape goes in; size halves - plants go in; size halves again..........
One optical trick, though, is to keep "stuff" not too close to front glass. This gives better impression of depth and perspective. Another trick is to move one or two taller plant forwards, to avoid a "hedge-effect" in background. This is purely for perspective.
- it'll be a beautifull tank anyway - don't worry !! :thumbup:

lol I'll have a pico at this rate :D

Once I've emptied the tank I can have another play. The closest piece to the glass currently is 7", which is to the left hand side just in front of the weir. There's not much I can really do about that as I can't go any further back without losing a load of planting space, which I need to hide the weir. That's also part of the biggest piece I have, the one which sticks out of the water the most. I can't really move that without messing everything up and starting again. Not happening :D

I want to try and curve the wood round more, or at least use the rocks to create more of a semi circle from each front corner half way up the side, if you know what I mean? It's hard to get across in my terrible pictures how much depth there actually is. Although it is basically a straight line of wood, I've made loads of planting spaces between the front, middle and back pieces. I'm hoping once it's planted up you'll be able to see the perspective. I want to bank the sub up pretty steep as well, which should also help.

Don't worry, there'll be no hedges here :cool: Beautiful ?!?! Pressures on then :nailbiting: :D

This is crackin'
Really like the fact that you've put the glass together yourself. Test fill must have been a bit hairy. Have you done this before? Envious of anybody who can apply silicon neatly ;)
The lighting and the bracket/rig are very stylish and modern, lovely.
The layout and shape of the wood is really striking.
If it is not to late, please can I request a few pics of the stages when you lay out the substrate?
How is the weir? I've read somewhere that the comb possibly makes it a little less efficient and noisier, is that right? Do you intend to hide the whole weir somehow?
Watching

Cheers mate, filling it up wasn't a problem. I was 100% fully confident it wouldn't leak or collapse through the floorboards o_O :D

Yeah it's the first time I've built a tank and was absolutely bricking it lol I had some help with the silicone work from screwfix. I paid about £12 I think it was, for what is basically a piece of plastic which you run round the silicone to give it a nice finish. I was annoyed at the price when I got it home, but well worth the money in hindsight, I couldn't have done it without it. All the joints should be 90 degrees/flat, but I over did it a bit and went for a 6mm chamfer just to be sure, first time and that.

Sure, I'll add some pics when I finally add the sub. I'm changing my mind all the time though, it will be cactus compost and either akadama or cat litter. I really don't like the colour of either though so I will probably change my mind again. It's only for behind the wood though so colour won't matter anyway will it?! Whatever I go for I'll be mixing it probably 70/30 ish then capping with just akadama/cat litter. I'm using a light coloured sand for the front.

I'm running a twin standpipe setup so the overflow should be as near to silent as I'm going to get. You can get gurgling and splashing when using a single pipe, and depending on how low your pipes are in the weir, you could get some noise from water dropping over the comb. I can't see a problem with the way I'm going to do things but I'll get some pics up and let you know how it goes.

As for hiding the weir, that's another thing I keep changing my mind over. I've always gone for black backgrounds on my tanks which would mean simply covering it with black perspex. I want to keep it more towards the natural side, but then I see these high tech scapes with white/grey backgrounds and I think they look stunning. My current idea which I think I'm sticking with, or at least trying, is using a medium window tint as the background with an led striplight mounted on the back of the tank. Without the light on it should look black, but with the light on, it will hopefully give me a nice sort of gradient from light down to dark. I'll obviously try it out before I fill the tank back up but fingers crossed should look ok. The only problem with this idea is that I'll have to re mount the light further back so you don't see the upright and so I have space for the light, and that the weir will still be visible. It would have to come down to the plants to actually hide it. I'm planning on going around 8" with the sub anyway so shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, it's doing my head in slightly now though :thumbdown:

I've spent the last few days trying to arrange slate paddle stones so I can separate the two subs. I must have spent about 5 hours plus just on two bits trying to get them looking nice and natural. I thought I was on to a winner until my other half walked in and said "I like the little 'walls' you've built" lol They're not walls!! :lol:

Anyway, scrapped the paddle stones idea after that and I'm going to fetch some more wood. See if I can find a few bits which will do the same job as the rocks, so going wood only hard scape by the looks of it*

*subject to change :D

Last edited:
Hi NC10, I like the sound of the paddle stones, I know what you mean sometimes it takes hours then you look and start over again :banghead:
Try and try again :)
How about flat round river stones " My fav at the moment " Easy to get them looking good place some larger ones hear and there then fill in the spaces with smaller ones ???

My Wife says she has no Interest in my fish tanks " But she can always tell me what's wrong or it would look better like this or that:lol:

Funny thing is she is normally Right :meh:

Hi NC10, I like the sound of the paddle stones, I know what you mean sometimes it takes hours then you look and start over again :banghead:
Try and try again :)
How about flat round river stones " My fav at the moment " Easy to get them looking good place some larger ones hear and there then fill in the spaces with smaller ones ???

My Wife says she has no Interest in my fish tanks " But she can always tell me what's wrong or it would look better like this or that:lol:

Funny thing is she is normally Right :meh:

I'm going to have one last play now :bored: Edit: Scrap that, they're just too small, it's always going to look like the fish have had the builders in. I have some gritstone which I wasn't going to use, but I'm going to give this a quick clean up and see how I go with it.

I've just had a quick look on B&Q but not found any river stones, I'll have to look at the LFS or garden centre on my travels. Where did you get yours?

I did find >these< though which I'm liking :thumbup:

I just don't need 400kg though o_O I'm wondering if I'll be able to buy them singular in store?

Last edited:
Hi NC10 ,

I like the look of the grey gabion stones too :thumbup: You may be able to buy less Than 400kg or Try the garden centre or landscape gardeners then you can buy as much or as little as you want ;)
I got mine from a local stream collected them off a small gravel bar :) Took some time to sort them out though:meh: There in a 12" cube so i did not need that many :)
But for your size tank it would take forever to collect enough :eek:

Happy rock hunting :)

Cheers greenfinger, I've just had a look at the river stones in your tank. TBH I think they're too small mate, unless I can find some bigger ones that is. I can't think off the top of my head if I've ever come across them in my local ish streams. I'll keep my eye out though :thumbup:

I've just given the gritstone a quick bleach scrub and rinse, so I'll see how these look :rolleyes:

Hi, how's it going. Need an update on your tank. I got the 9000. All set up and running. Sounds like a PC fan running. Lot higher pitch than other pumps. Much quieter to say it's over two times more powerful. The control is pretty nifty too. Hope u got yours up n running

Hi mate, glad you're happy with the pump. Have you got it wound down or full speed? I haven't played with mine since the last time I had water in the tank :( Would you recommend it yourself?

No updates really, waiting on some mini landscape rock, or seiryu stone if you're posh, so I can finally get the scape finished. Just hope there's enough, doubt it though :bored:

Still got the plumbing, background and substrate to do and I think that's it.

Struggling to decide on a background though, at this point I'm going with the usual black vinyl, need help or opinions really?!? I do have a back lit window tint type thing in my head but don't know wether to just keep it simple. I've also thought about grey as well, like I said, I need help :confused:

I also have 2 of the LED fixtures as well so I'm thinking of adding the other to my hanger thing. The light from one soon disappeared into the depth of water. Once the tank is full it's going to be a pain adding more light if it's not enough, if I add both now, I can easily turn it down a notch if it turns out to be too much.

Edit: I also can't get altum angels out of my head :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
- None of us can get Altums out of our heads........but only few of us have the space (- no; stupid........space in the tank !! :sour: ). They would be perfect for this sort of scape.

- None of us can get Altums out of our heads........but only few of us have the space (- no; stupid........space in the tank !! :sour: ). They would be perfect for this sort of scape.

I'd love some Mick, just expensive when you want a shoal :(

How many would you personally go for in this tank?

Last edited:
Personally I NEVER EVER overstock my tanks ( breeding tanks excepted ) mostly because of the fish, but also because I find it "stress-full" to look at.
When I set up my own 800 l., I bought what I presumed to become "Peruvian Altum" (not an Altum; I know) as very young fish. I started out with 20, to ensure a few, good breeding pairs. Unfortunately they did not grow up to be the Peruvians, I once had and bred. Still have no idea, what variation they are - very tall fish, with long fins, a bit of the snout of Altums, but defenitely not the colours of my old Peruvians.
If you're after the interesting behaviour of adult Angels, 2 or maybe 3 pairs max. You will have to make a layout with natural "borders", when fish are paired, so each pair can establish their own territory.
In my experience, breeding is often easier, when pairs can stimulate eachother, by threatening nabour-pairs, instead of taking agressions out on eachother.

Oh - and just to clarify; I do not breed Altums........only cultivars and natural variations of standard Pterophyllum scalare.
The socalled Peruvian Altum is a very beautifull variaty. Not as esy as standard scalare, but really not that difficult either. Same goes for breeding. Eggs are fewer, larvae and offspring smaller and slower growing. Therefore a little more pricy - just like the Black variety of Angels.

Last edited:
Back