• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: 259L bookcase tank - planted up!

the Otto would have been on it's last legs...they have an affinity for smelling inpending death.

ianho said:
the Otto would have been on it's last legs...they have an affinity for smelling inpending death.

yup, that's what I reckon too. everything else seems to have made the transition ok. just wondering whether there wasn't enough algae yet for the otto to munch. will check for rounded bellies on the others.

faizal said:
I like that sandy cove to the left too

The tetras seem to congregate there. Will put a proper photo later, but here's a taster.

2012-02-17%20at%2009-10-14.jpg

mikeappleby said:
faizal said:
I like that sandy cove to the left too

The tetras seem to congregate there. Will put a proper photo later, but here's a taster.

2012-02-17%20at%2009-10-14.jpg

Love that pic Mike. When you take the proper photo (and you probably know this, lol, but just in case), try and increase your depth of field slightly so that the front rocks are in focus too, but the back ones are out of focus. That would make an amazing shot IMO :) How lucky for you that the rocks is their favourite hang out spot.

One week

Here's the first week update. Small hardscape changes, some crypts in there (not sure about positioning - suggestions?), and some HC, which seems not to be melting.

Feb%20189%20full%20size%20002.jpg

Higher res image here.

Antipofish said:
Love that pic Mike. When you take the proper photo (and you probably know this, lol, but just in case), try and increase your depth of field slightly so that the front rocks are in focus too, but the back ones are out of focus. That would make an amazing shot IMO :)

Good suggestion. These are all just from holding the camera and quickly snapping. Will do a proper tripod effort and try to get some decent quality shots at some point when it's a bit more grown in. :shifty:

Think right time to pop out to get a couple of dwarf gouramis, some more tetras and maybe another small shoaling fish that swims a bit higher up. :shifty: Suggestions?

Re: One week

mikeappleby said:
Here's the first week update. Small hardscape changes, some crypts in there (not sure about positioning - suggestions?), and some HC, which seems not to be melting.

Feb%20189%20full%20size%20002.jpg

Higher res image here.

Antipofish said:
Love that pic Mike. When you take the proper photo (and you probably know this, lol, but just in case), try and increase your depth of field slightly so that the front rocks are in focus too, but the back ones are out of focus. That would make an amazing shot IMO :)

Good suggestion. These are all just from holding the camera and quickly snapping. Will do a proper tripod effort and try to get some decent quality shots at some point when it's a bit more grown in. :shifty:

Think right time to pop out to get a couple of dwarf gouramis, some more tetras and maybe another small shoaling fish that swims a bit higher up. :shifty: Suggestions?

harlequins ?

looks prehistoric. but in a good way-very bold.

oh boy. that gourami has a face on him!!

is that the moler clay substrate? if so, how do you like it?

love this journal .. haha its good to have big dreams but i have always wanted a custom built book shelved wall, but now i want a fish tank in it :) really like your pipes too you can come to work with me anytime to install some conduit. great thread will keep watching with interest .

somethingfishy said:
great thread will keep watching with interest

Thanks! Trying to put as much practical detail in as possible as I found this helpful in others... :idea:

Here's the update. Small changes to hardscape (as per suggestions on this thread). Also replaced about half the bioballs in the aquamedic reactor with torn up shower puffs, and is diffusing CO2 a bit better - i.e. lower bubble rate - and a lot more quietly.

2012-02-26%20at%2019-06-55.jpg

Two weeks ago was:

tank%20build.jpg

Stems have been cut and replanted, as didn't have enough. Crypts and other things in too. Has taken me a while to get the CO2 right, and am using 10hrs of 2*39w T5s - so half my possible lighting. Glosso starting to take off. HC not looking great as CO2 wasn't spot on.

Comments helpful. Bits of substrate have got all over the sand - mainly Amano shrimp. What's the best way of getting them out?

mikeappleby said:
The amount of CO2 i have to inject is ludicrous! Still haven't got it right.

Ditto, im really struggling with mine and im also adding ludicrous amounts. Trying to optimise is a fine balance between success and fish death. Ive been slowly increasing and have lost an otto and a cardinal tetra tonight, gutted and guilty. :( :mad: :twisted: I dont know how people get the one hour before lights on and off one hour before lights off generalisation. To keep a stable c02 ie not increasing into the yellow throughout the day and killing fish, ive got mine set to come on currently 3hrs pre lights to try and get lime green for lights on, and now off 3hrs before lights off (was 2.5 hrs before lights off but reducing c02 time period to reduce toxicity) It must all be tank specific ie c02 diffusion vs uptake vs gas off rate :rolleyes: Thinking of switching to inline to see if that helps.
Anyway sorry for ranting on your journal,
the tank is looking great and starting to fill in. Hope you get your c02 sorted.
Cheerio,
Ady.

looking really ancient. Like a scene from a harryhausen film. love it. all it needs is a big dinosaur grapple.

mikeappleby said:
Better quality photo now Paulo's changed the settings...
The settings didn't affect photo quality, just the way you can zoom in and out of the photo ;) but the shrinking of the image before did make them look a little blurred so I guess it did help with the thumbnails to some extent. :)

New layout is looking great, looking forward to seeing the plants filled in, to see how the rocks stand out then.

Back