• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi al, I had a white pearl shrimp drop some eggs and 2 weeks later babies so you do have a chance of survival, think as you said daily water changes would be the way to go, moss in the container would also be good biofilm for the little ones to graze on in case they aren't visible when first hatched. Good luck with it mate. Looking forward to seeing you with tank :) I may have some crypts goin spare if you want them when tanks up n running.

Hi al, I had a white pearl shrimp drop some eggs and 2 weeks later babies so you do have a chance of survival, think as you said daily water changes would be the way to go, moss in the container would also be good biofilm for the little ones to graze on in case they aren't visible when first hatched. Good luck with it mate. Looking forward to seeing you with tank :) I may have some crypts goin spare if you want them when tanks up n running.

Hiya mate, thanks for the reassurance. Sounds like im in with a chance of some home reared shrimplets then ha ha. Have got moss in with them and keep checking on them. Theyre in a warm room too.

And thank you for the crypts offer that would be great. Its here Wednesday cant wait

Reactions: tim
I bought an egg tumbler after a couple of shrimps ditched their eggs...but then it never happened again so haven't had a chance to try it out :)

I imagine it would save a lot of hassle with the egg tumblr. Ive checked the eggs today and a few have gone white whilst the rest are still yellow. Not sure if the white eggs are going moldy or hatching but have separated them away from the yellow ones for now and still changing some water each day.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Just a quick question, im not planning on putting any fish or shrimp in the tank for a while ( a good 4 weeks atleast) but even though the various soils will leech out ammonia, my filters on the tank will have cycled media added to them and I will also squeeze out some media into the tank from my other filters that are running on my storage tubs.
What are peoples thoughts on how much earlier I could add fauna???

Just a quick question, im not planning on putting any fish or shrimp in the tank for a while ( a good 4 weeks atleast) but even though the various soils will leech out ammonia, my filters on the tank will have cycled media added to them and I will also squeeze out some media into the tank from my other filters that are running on my storage tubs.
What are peoples thoughts on how much earlier I could add fauna???

It'll depend on plant biomass and growth and filter efficiency versus how much ammonia is being leached. My gut feeling is that if you plant heavily and chuck a load of floaters in to start up then you should be OK to add livestock quite soon. Have you still got the riparium houseplants in water?

You might be interested to read through this Should I fishless cycle a new planted tank? | UK Aquatic Plant Society there are some radical views in that thread though!!!!!
Thanks mate. I was having a read through that before I just saw your post ha ha...

It'll depend on plant biomass and growth and filter efficiency versus how much ammonia is being leached. My gut feeling is that if you plant heavily and chuck a load of floaters in to start up then you should be OK to add livestock quite soon. Have you still got the riparium houseplants in water?

That's what I thought too mate. I started stocking the puddle quite early on but had all the riparium plants in to help mop up any excess ammonia etc.
Ill be planting as heavy as possible on sunday, with some floaters too along with some Maiden hair fern on the wood with its roots in the water and two whopping filters both with some mature media added to both from the offset. Im not planning on adding anything fauna wise from the offset that's for sure and wont be using test kits but will have a seneye device running on it mainly for temp and ph monitoring but which also shows ammonia.

The only riparium house plants currently still in water is the pothos which is in with the fish and has gone mental, the others I had to plant up in soil in pots as had no where to keep them in terms of roots in water etc.

Well was always dropping in and checking your choc puddle before, so I'm going to be following this thread.
Nightmare though its been, I think you're going to have a great tank when its up and running.

Well was always dropping in and checking your choc puddle before, so I'm going to be following this thread.
Nightmare though its been, I think you're going to have a great tank when its up and running.

Hi bandersnatch,
Glad you liked the puddle and really appreciate your interest in this one too thank you.

Its been a huge nightmare and ended up a massive drain in funds but ive got a good feeling its on and upwards this time round. .... or up and onwards which ever the saying is. Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. Over 200+ plantlets of tennelus to plant amongst other plants.

Are we going to get pics Alastair and are you drafting the kids in to help :)

Ha ha yeah ill be sticking up pics through the day and not sure who im getting to help. Might just be me :(
Got plenty of muscle to help with the bringing in etc though but thats the down side of living alone. No extra hands. Depends if the little one is feeling helpful lol

Hope all goes well for you today mate :)
Thanks mate. Me too.
Looking forward to it again mate, hope all goes well :)
lol emphasize the 'again' bit lol.
Hope everything goes smoothly this time! Will be stunning once it's up and running.
aww thanks claire. Hopefully ill have it looking semi decent bu the end of the day.
Its here now just doing a fill test courtesy of my little helper

Tanks really good quality. Pic makes it look very blue though :/
jeqygejy.jpg

Back