• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I used to have a pair of dwarf puffers and could have watched them all day. I love this tank, it really looks bigger than it is. I think I need more anubias...

thanks.
yep. love puffers too ;)
this amount of anubias I have was grown
from two small portions within a year

alto. thank you. my rocky scape does well. at least the rocks does not melt. struggling with plant adaption there :)

quick update.
there is another thing I must admit now. EI fertilizing method was only alright.
But it never actually delivered the results I'm expecting (over a period of 2 years)

finally decided to change my fertilizing methods.
Switched to something more simple

Tropica all-in-one + extra potassium sulphate (from EI set) twice a week.
16695958248_2f2504fd2a.jpg

also decided switch to less water changes. As I think 50% once a week causes drastic
environmental changes. so I'll cut it down to 15-20% weekly. Will keep it trough
the same: RO+JBL Aquadur

oh. I need help, if someone does read this..
I'm up to change my live stock in tank.

I would like to see one pair of some show-off fish and bunch of schooling fishes

Colisia and Gourami will be re-homed and 2 rasbora Kubotai too.
My pygmy corries and amano shrimps are invisible in this setup so I don't count them :)

I came up for show off fish -
1. just a pair of some nice Rams - really no concerns about keeping them as I can meet their water requirements
2. pair of some nice Angels. concerns - never kept an Angels. No issue with meeting water requirements
but I'm not sure if they will have enough space (as I know there is no small Angel fish, only when they are young, right?)
and if my current will not be too strong for them. I have a very nice flow, not too strong but good enough

Schooling fish
- my thoughts are to keep it classic in this choice - I guess neons would look nice. the smaller ones of the species (I'm bad on proper names.lol). probably about 15 of them

any suggestions

Fish thoughts
Rams - I'm very fond of these fish, they have interesting behavior & colors (I have some electric blue juveniles at this time, but would've gone with gold rams if local shops has anything beside "balloon" rams - which I consider to be a very sad fish, wild type rams are also stunning). As with most cichlids, begin with several juveniles & remove "rejected" fishes - sometimes rams will settle into a group, other times you'll end up with a single fish running the 60cm tank.

Angels - I think a 60cm tank is too small for adult angels (though breeders will often keep a breeding pair in this size of tank for spawning etc BUT if there is a "divorce" the rejected angel will often end up in a bad way: the most stable pair are formed from a group of several juveniles, breeders attempting a particular cross will condition males & females separately, then add female to the breeding tank followed by male a few days later, then remove both after spawning. I believe there are a few angelfish forums, TAFII is still active though I don't know how many breeders are still posting ...) This is a nice size tank for growing out baby angels, then move them onto your 120 cm tank (or return to lfs etc). Angels won't do well in a "river" tank set up, but they should be fine with most filters used in planted tanks.
If you're concerned about current, choose angels with "standard" fins rather than "veil" or "longfin"
Steve Rybicki breeds outstanding angels - location won't work for you I suspect, but look at his fish for an indication of well bred & properly grown out angels (look at the fins, any bent or damaged fins reflect poor water quality during grow-out).
If you raise baby angels with a group of tetras, the angels are less likely to see the tetras as prey ... I had a group of altums that were able to distinguish between the several rasboras they'd grown up with & any new additions to the rasbora school (which were hunted in the night).

Checkerboard cichlids - more likely to settle as a small harem in this size tank than other dwarf cichlids, I believe these are still mostly available as wild caught so you need to begin with a group of at least 5 - 6 juveniles (I've only kept them in a 90cm tank but others have success with 60cm tanks). Behavior seems to be somewhat locale dependent, I had a previous group that were awesome "schooling" fish, present group is very different in behavior but still very "kind" to conspecifics ... they seem bemused by the territoriality expressed by the much smaller juvenile rams (they just ignore or give way, depending).
They are seldom alone, but almost always in company with at least one other checkerboard, & more likely, a group.
They are rather "thoughtful" feeders so you need to choose tankmates carefully.

If you can find them, these might be an interesting fish with either rams or checkerboards - with angels, I'd stick to more agile fish or a larger type of hatchet fish.

alto,
many thanks for your input!
Over-viewed - Checkerboard cichlids. Nice fish but my wife did not accept it
So I guess I might go for the Rams (got a green light), hoping mu LFS will have some decent ones
I guess Angel fish might not be an option as I have no way to upgrade to a bigger tank

Many thanks for your time and thoughts

I hate to mess with your lovely scape, but you may need to increase densely planted areas for the rams to "escape" (each other) into so keep this in mind.

My electric blues - which are all of 2cm - seemed pretty relaxed in the shop tank (crowded with 40 rams & some tetras), now settled into the 90cm x 45cm with lots of wood hollows & (relatively) dense substrate planting, are little terrorists. They are entertaining to watch, but you need to closely monitor individual fish for stress.
If you can find locally bred rams, they are often "sturdier" than some of the imports, wild caught rams should be quarantined & "treated" (hopefully by the shop or importer).

Checkerboards are not as "pretty" (especially as juveniles) but they are very interesting to watch in their group dynamic, they will browse the substrate for food in groups, almost touching each other - definitely "talking"

thanks

thanks to all!
choice has been made today. Wife approved ember tetras.
so I ended up with 16 ember tetras and a lovely pair of Rams

p.s. regarding to hiding places.. this scape it's just 5 months old, but it moves on,
as I will let plants to fill some areas and have a plan for adding bit more..
I'm sure pair of rams will be more happy with time

Livestock update:

2x Ram cichlids
2x Dwarf puffers
10x Pygmy Coridoras
16x Ember Tetras

7x Amano shrimps
16x Horned nerite snails

so this is it, I can call it fully stocked, planted community tank now

Excellent photos & update, the fish look great together.

Do check that you have a pair of rams ....Fishtalk has a poster (somewhat blurred but with notes) - the blue specks inside the black blotch generally works even with some "difficult to decide" fish

thanks for the poster. now, as I'm not an expert, have a lil confusion.
really hard to say in this position if they are different sex. lol.
need some advice again. the only thing is - the smaller one has more blue dots on black
and when just swimming around it is really noticeable it has more pale in color

I guess I need to get on some Ram forums for an advice. hmm

the fin thing is realky confusing for me now. as I don't see much difference when fins are wide open. might be it's just me..

Rams with this wild type coloring, the females will show that rosy belly IF they aren't stressed (it can fade out very quickly which makes catching a particular fish somewhat difficult - best method is to "choose" fish before the net goes in & then never take your eye off that particular fish).
The fins can be deceptive - nicest fins I've ever seen was on a wild caught female ram , she put the boys in the shade but was also very aggressive & I didn't have a male that could stand up to her (finally moved her to her own 60cm tank, she had extraordinary coloring).
Paler color in a ram is a typical "don't notice me" affect, if you see this fish begin to always hide or breath rapidly or move to the upper levels of the tank, then just place it in a breeder net & trade it back in at the shop for another female ... it may be easier to get a couple of possible females & see how they manage in the tank.
Rams generally just pair for spawning but don't form long term attachments as pairs.

In that last photo of the 2 rams, I'd expect to see some hint of pink color on the supposed female's belly; OTOH dorsal fin does support that this may be a female (but a juvenile or "sleeper" male may appear very similar)
("sleeper" male is a male that masquerades as a female, it may even slip in & fertilize eggs during spawning).

I suspect it will become clear over the next few days - couple weeks :)

just in between. what means Broodstock? Is it something related to their breeding or where they come from? as they were marked in LFS with broodstock Rams.

This page has an excellent photo of a female ram - you can see the blue spangles & the rosy belly
Article - sorry I cant seem to find a better version of this article

I've not seen the term "broodstock" used in my lfs, it may mean that these are nicely bred rams of lineage where there are outcrosses to wild fish or they are the spawn of wild fish (actual wild fish would be far more cautious of you approaching the tank, so I'd be very surprised if these are wild caught, even as juveniles) .... or perhaps just fish shop marketing ...
(the article I linked does apply the term)
Used correctly, the term would imply that these are nicely conformed, representative temperament/behavior/coloring etc of a species ie you could use these fish in a breeding program ... except these sorts of fish are generally only available through a breeder network & not available in a fish shop (unless it's a shop that specializes!)

I love the new fish, beautiful.

Having said that I also loved those honey gouramis you had. Did you have any trouble with them? I hear they are often infected with a virus and don't tend to last long. Also were they OK with strong flow?

they seemed not to bother i have a jbl 1501 on 90l tank. they didn't cost me any issues. Unfortunately it's true about the health issues. but I never had a problem with them as my trusted lfs has some kind of cert proving they are breeded properly and should have no issues

Back