• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue jelly island :-) journal finished

been a little slack with this of late due to work and wanting to see the effect of less waterchanges, hair algae crept in on the bolbitus and the hc looks worse for wear, so spent a good hour today on maintanence trimming out affected leaves etc filter clean. think the daily waterchanges are the way to go shrimp and plants seem happier, glad its only 12 liters :) will try and post some new pics later.

Hi tim nice tank. can I ask what background you have on your tank?, I bought the "light diffuser background" from TGM and it turned out to be the typical stuff you find for windows/bathrooms which you can get anywhere but it was more expensive. Is that what you have ?

I tried some on my tank a while ago, I scraped all the water out ect and it seemed to go on well,but after a day I noticed that it was far from flawless looking with black spots ect so I removed it.

hi dan, thanks, it is the typical (cheap) window/bathroom stuff, i put it on the tank whilst empty using a smear of washing up liquid and a plastic wallpaper scraper from wilkos to push the air bubbles out theres still a couple of air bubbles but they are near the base of the tank so not so noticeable.

couple of pics from this evening with a little extra light for the pics
8717482167_1b7a004583.jpg

shrimp colouring up
8717495529_91cef4870f.jpg

8717482167_1b7a004583.jpg

reshaped the acrylic pipe to a jet shape today giving a wider flow pattern and its just breaking the water surface for better gas exchange.
as soon as i know ill be home for delivery will get the rest of the shrimp ordered a week or so hopefully.

i'm not sure i can trust my eyes anymore... that tank can not be 12L! Its just impossible!

where did you get those lights though?

thanks,
Nutty

Had them acclimatising for about 3 hours now should be ready to move across soon :)
Few pics of acclimatising method, moved them into a measuring jug, I use a bucket for bigger livestock but same method.
8789311561_61178b2b42.jpg

Drip acclimatise them using air line with an inline flow valve to control water flow
8789287041_1350374bed.jpg

Then use really advanced clamps to keep the airline in place :)
8789296983_1c8ea2388d.jpg

I measure the temp and tds of bag water and tank water then drip them at about 1 drip/second until params match up long process but I can use this method on my high tech tanks even with co2 on and it seems to work well for me and livestock.
Thanks for looking in will try and get some shrimp pics up later.

I love what you've done with this tank, Tim. It's been a mad week for me too at work , so I just had the chance to catch up.:) Looking forward to its progress. Nice one:).

Reactions: tim
Looking good! How many do you have in there now? I was thinking of trying some more shrimp for my 12 litre bowl. My LFS has blue pearls but they are 2 for £9 so I'd want to know that I could keep them alive! They also have CRS and CBS for the same price.:)

They are nice shrimp James thanks, 12 in there now and ill leave it at that will consider a bigger tank for them if they breed well, not kept blue pearls but found white pearls fairly easy to keep/ breed with a mix of tap/ro water just because my water is fairly hard out of the tap. Not been so lucky with cardina species but I will get round to trying them again one day.

Back