• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi George. Can I ask what you user between the tank and cabinet. I thought that the tank may have been supplied with a mat of some kind.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HI George,

this is great setup and I'm gonna miss it somehow :)

But look forward the new one with anticipation!

Could you please tell me, what was the working pressure you have your reg set at, for maintaining stable bps rate? Have you experienced any fluctuations?

Hi George. Can I ask what you user between the tank and cabinet. I thought that the tank may have been supplied with a mat of some kind.
Sure. I've used some white foam with a heating mat on top. :)

Could you please tell me, what was the working pressure you have your reg set at, for maintaining stable bps rate? Have you experienced any fluctuations?
Hi mate. I have my Dennerle reg on about 2.5 Bar. 1BPS, no fluctuations. :)

Hi all,

I did a quick re-scape yesterday.

I kept the wood, but removed 99% of the Riccardia for sale. So there's mostly Fissidens on it now.

Substrate is a 2cm layer of Unipac Maui Sand.

Rocks are collected from a beach in Cornwall.

Lights are suspended 70cm from surface. CO2 down to 30 bubbles per minute. TPN+ 2ml per day. Water changes daily to help minimise algae issues. There's loads of shrimp in there too.

I'm quite happy with the results - a strong basic layout to build upon if I wish. :)

_MG_5943.jpg

dont envy you trying to split the ricc and fissidens up!
Like the new layout and low maintenance will keep the family happy :) definitely a good base and doesnt need a lot more, maybe a few varieties of anubia and vallis nana...
nice.

Thanks, Iain. :)

Actually the Riccardia peeled off the wood quite easily and the Fissidens stayed on - very stubborn to remove. So it was really easy.

I like your planting plan. I was thinking a tall hairgrass, maybe even planted in a shallow tub containing soil in the background to control it easily.

I was worried about the fish with the spartan feel and bright substrate but they remain bold and colourful. :)

I've come up with a plan to trim the moss...

Attach self-sprung scissors to 9mm hose with a cable tie, and siphon-snip simultaneously. Even if that doesn't work at least the moss cuttings will be easy to see on the pale sand.

Attach self-sprung scissors to 9mm hose with a cable tie, and siphon-snip simultaneously. Even if that doesn't work at least the moss cuttings will be easy to see on the pale sand.
funny, i just did my first proper moss trim today and tried attaching a 9mm pipe to my wrist with a velcro strap... snip'n'suck mark I needs to go back to R and D :lol:

Nice! I'm not always keen on sand substrate layouts but this is great. I might be extra keen since I spent hours today trimming a moss and hairgrass carpet in my fiddly nano. For the moss I tried a sort of surgery approach with tweezers in one hand and scissors in the other. This worked on a smaller moss trim before, but was pretty useless this time and I'll be picking little bits out for ages.

How's this doing George?

Hi all,

A couple of recent snaps.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this running in its current form. It's really tempting to add loads of other plants but keep the hardscape.

I can imagine a nice curtain of Tropica's new tall Eleocharis sp. in the background. Maybe some small ferns amongst the wood, and small crypts in the midground.

I also think black neon tetras would suit the 'scape. Their dark and light contrast complimenting the dark and light theme of the layout.

_MG_1443.jpg

_MG_1476.jpg

Looking very crisp.
Are you having to do any extra maintenance to keep the sand clean and algae in check with low plant mass or is it all balanced to the reduced lighting intensity?
Cheers,
Ady

Thanks guys.

Looking very crisp.
Are you having to do any extra maintenance to keep the sand clean and algae in check with low plant mass or is it all balanced to the reduced lighting intensity?
Cheers,
Ady
Not much extra maintenance. I usually do 2x 60% water changes every week. Trimming the moss can take a while but it is therapeutic. This is done every 1-2 weeks.

I like this layout because I can move the wood and rocks around easily to create a new look. I usually tweak it every few days, with the idea of it getting better every time. It's amazing how much detritus gets stirred up when the decor is moved about considering my low bioload. The white sand is unforgiving of any dirt which is a good thing to promote cleanliness IMO.

This is looking superb George, i wish i had the eye that you guys have on here. The wood and rocks look amazing, think it'll look awesome with tall at the back and a few shorter in and around the rocks etc. Really like this one, looking forward to it being planted.

I managed to convince the girl last night that its beneficial to my 'art' that a scape will last for 6 months or so then get ripped apart and a new one is started! Only way to progress is to keep practicing! :)

Cheers

Darren

If my kids go within an inch of my glassware theres no time to blink, let alone take a photo!
No dropchecker, do you dial in your co2 then have no need for it or have you stopped injecting co2 altogether now?
New fish too ;)

Hi Ady,

Yes mate, no drop checker. I just dial in the bubble counter and it stays consistent until the very end of cylinder life. I do check the CO2 at feeding time.

Black neon tetras in there now. Did a photo shoot for a magazine feature today.

To simple and not enough going on for you George?
I felt that way about my 70 Gallon with hair grass and the nice manzy burl hardscape, so I went all Buces.
But....I have my stem plant and color fetish in the 120 gallon also, if all you have is the 1 tank, that's tough.

You must be motivated to work on the tank, this can die back after a few months.

Some tanks balance the labor and the look/owner's interest. I'd say this is a big factor for a successful tank, something I try and seek. If not, I'll break the tank down and keep going till I do.
Yes, very very true, Fissidens is the most stubborn moss to get off of wood, Riccardia is easy, but ends up all over.

Back